• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

adequate ventilation for JV3-130 running full solvent

PDD

I want to put in a ventilation system for my JV3-130 printer that is running SS2 full solvent inks. Printer is intermittently used. I looked in the manual but can't seem to find any rough numbers about how many CFM of airflow will provide adequate ventilation for this printer. I intend to hook the cover vent and the front/floor vent up using a y fitting but just don't have a feel for how much air flow is reasonable.

What setup are other folks using? Is 250 CFM airflow per printer adequate?

Thanks! Brent

wildside

we have a hose hoked up to the standard "Y" pvc piece, and out the building it goes, never had any issues with back up smells or over whelming smells etc, works just fine without any adding fans or equipment

Attachments

• DSC03772.JPG
    DSC03772.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 82

genericname

we have a hose hoked up to the standard "Y" pvc piece, and out the building it goes, never had any issues with back up smells or over whelming smells etc, works just fine without any adding fans or equipment

What kind of volume do you print? Not denying what works for you, but I'm curious because solvent fumes are heavier than air, and it doesn't make much sense to me that they could get vented out of a straight vertical like that without suction.

wildside

we aren't printing 24 hours a day, machine prolly running 3-4 hours a day.

it works just fine, had it set up similar in the old building but had a much longer run and worked good there too.

genericname

Huh! Might I suggest then, that it's not actually getting vented outside, but that the hose is long enough to let it dissipate over time, without it contaminating the air around the machine?

Either way, I'm happy it's working for you. We haven't yet vented our JV3s directly, though I'm looking forward to doing so.

ChicagoGraphics

What ever you decide to do, if you use any type of fan make sure it's explosion proof, or you will have a real problem on your hands.

wildside

your more than welcome to come stick your nose and hand at the vent on the outside of the building and feel the steady stream of forced air coming out.

those standard fans on the machine push alot more air than you are giving them credit for

PDD

What ever you decide to do, if you use any type of fan make sure it's explosion proof, or you will have a real problem on your hands.

Do you have a suggestion for a good explosion proof model that is not a ton of money?

Just curious but when I overhauled my jvw they are just using conventional blower wheel fans with open motor that are not explosion proof and they are probably sitting in the area that has the highest solvent levels? Thoughts???

genericname

those standard fans on the machine push alot more air than you are giving them credit for

Aaaah! I thought the enclosure on the front was just a dust guard or media basket. We only have 250s, so I forgot about the ventilation enclosure for other models, and thought you just had tubes connected to the back, with no air to force the fumes out.:Oops:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
hmmm...... we have run ours with inline cheapo fans for about 6 years. Fortunatley no expolsions so far. Knock on wood I guess. On our current JV33 I stepped the 4" pipe up to 6" so we could use a larger 6" inline fan. The past week has told me that is still not enough. We have been printing several full bus wraps (going through nearly a full liter of magenta on each and 1 bus uses almost exactly an entire 54" roll of busmark) and the fumes have been pretty unbearable in a 1400SF open shop. I'm thinking now that we are going to create a smallish room just for the printer - not bother with it's internal exhaust pipe, and just install a 10" flex duct to a big squirrel cage blower and exhaust that outside. Our current setup had once in a while let the fumes get a little strong but these buses have made me reconsider. Normal day to day printing has never been this bad but these buses are printing at low res pretty fast (prints the entire roll in about 6 hours) which I think is overloading the capabilites of the exhaust.

genericname

I'm looking at just using a dryer hose system now, connecting our two JV3s via Y connector, with an inline 300cfm duct booster fan on each line.

Taking a look at the MSDS, I've figured that in the absolute worst case scenario, the amount of solvent in the system will be nowhere near their flammable concentration point. Besides that, the most concentrated of VOCs (present in the Magenta SS2 ink) doesn't seem to be able to be ignited by static, and only by spark or open flame. With that in mind, and considering the personal experiences of others with their vent setups, I'm not going to worry too much about not having an explosion proof fan.