• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adjusting From Spot Color

Herrington25

What is the best way to go about color matching when starting from a spot color? I have a pantone spot color that is a close match to what I'm looking for but I need to tweak the color. When I switch the color mode from spot to CMYK and print it out the color prints slightly different, but then when I adjust the CMYK values the color changes on screen but doesn't change when printed.

What am I missing?

spooledUP7

Yeah, spot colors are really good when you have your printer/rip dialed to replicate pantone colors accurately. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the skills, resources, or care to make this happen and so we have to make compromises in order to achieve our color goals. Here are a few suggestions for color matching without a calibrated system.
1. Own a pantone color book, either a Formula Guide or Process Color guide so long as it's true to color. Amazon Pantone Store
2. Print a pantone color chart with your current rip/printer settings for every material you use. These will be your cross reference from the book to your printer's output. Then simply pick a pantone number on the printed chart that matches your desired color from the book or sample.
3. Convert the spot color to cmyk and then make value adjustments until you find the best match. I usually print a series swatches with graduated values for whatever color I'm after such as C85,M50,Y0,K0...C82,M50....
4. Custom Spot colors (click this YouTube Video:) Sometimes you cannot get the desired color using the above method, but you can create custom spot colors that are processed by the rip. In the production manager click on your printer setup/color management tab/"Color Mapping" button. Click the "Add" button and create a unique spot color name like "Hammer Gray" and enter the CMYK values you think would be close. Click OK, and save your preset (upper floppy disk icon), then go back to the Color Mapping button, click on the newly created color and click on the Print Swatch button (Be sure you have media in the printer). It will begin to print an array of colors with your original value in the smack middle. After the print is completed (and laminated if your final product is laminated) search for the best matching swatch and then enter the X,Y location values back into the custom color editor's "Closest matching swatch" fields and then press Update Color, Ok, and save the preset again. Now, in the design software create a new spot color which looks good to you on screen and name it EXACTLY the same way you named your custom spot color. Save your color table View/Color/Save table and there you have it. (Just a note about this custom color setup. It only works in your environment and will not work elsewhere, or in other applications. Best to make a backup of all your rip settings in case you upgrade your system, lose your system, or need to replicate it) I don't advise using this method now that I think about the risks associated with it, but if you have a one time job then this may get you through it.

stickerhed

What is the best way to go about color matching when starting from a spot color? I have a pantone spot color that is a close match to what I'm looking for but I need to tweak the color. When I switch the color mode from spot to CMYK and print it out the color prints slightly different, but then when I adjust the CMYK values the color changes on screen but doesn't change when printed.

What am I missing?
I bought a NIX Pro 2. I print the spot color, laminate, read it with the NIX to get a CMYK value, then I change the spot color in Flexi to CMYK, print, lam & read that and start to make adjustments from there. Sometimes I match right away after a couple of adjustment, sometimes I can't match because it's out of the color gamut of my printer. I have an HP 700W & L365.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Use Flexi's color mapping function. You basically start with the Pantone you want and it prints out a bunch of swatches that have slightly different CMYK values. You pick the one that looks the closest to the color you want and it will print that Pantone with those CMYK values from now on. Here's a YouTube video on how to do it.

unmateria

I use i1 pro (es1000 and es2000)... Just profile every material and ink and when i need a color I just read the lab from the pantone chart with the i1, replace the colour in your file, and the rip will do the best. If you are very picky about colours, profile with big charts (4000+ colors). Agyllcms works great for this (much better than most other software I have used)

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
If you are working in a color managed environment, and you have a good media configuration with an ICC profile- Colorant L from Colorlogic.de can in some cases correct the ink build to get an even more accurate reproduction of a spot/brand color.

dypinc

After properly calibrating and profiling the media, most RIPs have built in tools to adjust output vales that are in their Pantone or other spot color libraries. Use those tools.