• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe Illustrator CS6 Corel import filter broken

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Is anyone suddenly having issues trying to import CorelDRAW artwork into Adobe Illustrator? I'm now having a problem doing so. Anytime I try to open or place a CorelDRAW file (saved down to the versions supported by Illustrator) I get the odd looking error message attached to this post.

I often hop artwork between CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator (and then onto Photoshop and other apps) for various projects. I think Adobe Illustrator does a better job of opening CorelDRAW .CDR files than Corel does in saving AI or EPS files for Illustrator to open. This suddenly broken Corel import filter is kind of pain. I assume it is related to yet another one of those Windows updates Microsoft unloaded on everyone without properly testing.

BTW, this problem occurred after I uninstalled the KB2753842 update.

Attachments

• AICS6-error-mssg-12-14-2012.png
    AICS6-error-mssg-12-14-2012.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 133

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
BUMP

A day or two after I encountered this problem in Adobe Illustrator CS6 I found even worse things happening with computers running earlier versions. Now when I try opening a .CDR file in Illustrator CS5 (on my notebook, running Win 7 Ultimate) the program crashes completely. One of our older workstations in the shop is running Illustrator CS3 (on Win XP Pro SP3); Illustrator crashes on that computer too.

Another odd thing: Illustrator CS6 can open CorelDRAW files with artwork saved on standard sized pages, such as letter size. Unfortunately I often create artwork at full size or round percentages of full size on much larger, custom sized pages.

I'm certain all this points back to that bug-laden update Microsoft pushed out to Windows users.