• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe Muse

Marie

Anyone tried using Adobe Muse for website design? I downloaded a trial, and it seems promising. I would appreciate opinions from anyone who may have used it before I get in too deep. :smile:

Pat Whatley

Haven't used it but I've spent the last three hours since you posted this playing with the trial and I've got to say IT'S PRETTY DAMN SWEET! Sure, I read a lot about it and some reviews say the code is clunky and bloated and the software is limited but everything negative I've read seems to be coming from upper level coders. I've spent weeks now trying to figure out Dreamweaver and Photoshop slices and even just something as basic as creating a one page site and I'd given up....this looks like a much better answer.

lexsigns

if it is as easy as it looks KEWEL!
Is it included in the "cloud"? maybe worth the 50 a month if thats included too... wish I had time to play with it now... gotta make hay while the sun is shining though plenty of time to play later-
Cant wait to hear what you guys think of it :)

NSDdesigns

Yupp, It's awesome! Kind of the reason why I refused to learn how to code. I knew this was coming down the pike and deiced to wait, glad I did.

I sat in on the local Adobe Users Group demo last week and was entertained for the whole two hours. I cant wait to really get a full site done now, I have just been messing around learning it for now.

Of course there will still be the need for code monkeys, but for many of the clients I had to outsource my site designs for, this is the nail in the coffin to that way of going about it. Once it pairs up with EDGE, there will be no reason for a place/person/thing to NOT have a website.

Locals Find!

Knowing code regardless of what tool you use is necessary. Saying "I don't need to learn code" is about the same as saying "I don't need to know how to use a computer" and expect to compete.

I don't care what program you use you need to have a basic understanding of the code behind it or your just outputting templated crap. The internet is full of enough of that garbage. Much like vehicle wraps that are just photoshop fills with text slapped onto them.

Pat Whatley

I don't know Addie....you're selling design work and sign work and don't know **** about either one.

Let me ask you....have you even looked at Muse? There is NOTHING about it that is "templated crap". Nothing. Stop opening your mouth and letting the big blobs of stupid fall out.

qmr55

I don't have much to say about this, but I do want to say that it is not templated crap at all. YOU still have to do all the design work, which might I say, rules out any type of "template" right there. Just because you're not coding it from scratch, does not mean it is a template.

Justin

I don't really think it should be a alternative to learning css/html/html5, but it should be a learning tool towards learning to code.

It's cool, and all, but don't expect to be top SEO performer, full it work across all web browsers, etc..

Kevin-shopVOX

if it is as easy as it looks KEWEL!
Is it included in the "cloud"? maybe worth the 50 a month if thats included too... wish I had time to play with it now... gotta make hay while the sun is shining though plenty of time to play later-
Cant wait to hear what you guys think of it :)

Yes it is. That's one of the perks of the creative clouud it is all their apps basically.

Rodi

The pricing is not promising to me, and it is adobe, known for their upgrades from marketing, not R&D. I'd let this pass for quite a while before I would consider it.

Pat Whatley

Okay, four hours (and 6 pages) into the trial and I've come to one conclusion.....this thing is unstable as FlexiSign 4. I bet I've restarted it 6 times in the last hour. Fortunately it's restored everything each time and it restarts in about 30 seconds but it's getting annoying. Maybe it's my computer, maybe it's user error.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't know Addie....you're selling design work and sign work and don't know **** about either one.

Let me ask you....have you even looked at Muse? There is NOTHING about it that is "templated crap". Nothing. Stop opening your mouth and letting the big blobs of stupid fall out.

Pat if you don't know code how will you fend off the worms when they show up at your site with ladders to scale your firewall?

wayne k
guam usa

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Even most "code monkeys" don't know how to deal with a direct intrusion into a web site. Typically the hosting service has to get involved. Most sign web sites aren't going to be a worthwhile target of hackers in the first place, unless the sign web site has online store functions that can be hacked for money/ID theft or the site is big enough to impress other crackers for being taken down.

I would be more enthused about Muse if it were available in the regular creative suite packages. Muse and Edge aren't enough to get me to sign on permanently to the cloud.

I think it is pretty silly that the hardcore web developer coders have nothing but negative bile to spill out about apps like Muse. IMHO, those guys are a big part of why web development is such a disgusting mess right now. Apple is another part of it with its war against Flash.

HTML5 remains a pipe dream. The vast majority of web surfers are still using Internet Explorer. IE flat out SUCKS big time when it comes to supporting HTML5 standards. This is why Flash is still used in so many places. It is so much easier to whip out an animation in Flash rather than spend hours coding together some JavaScript or JQuery based animation that may not even work in some browsers.

I like clean web site code for just being able to edit it easier. But no one other than other geek coders are going to care one iota if a web site is hand coded in freaking Notepad. I'd much rather get the web site done without having to spend a bunch of time piecing together code to get something composed that I could do so much faster in Illustrator or InDesign.

Web site design tools mostly suck because they have the feel and function of a 1985 word processor rather than a modern 2010s level creative application. Just think of how bad it would suck if we had to write lots of HTML, CSS and JavaScript code to make graphics in Illustrator or Photoshop. I'd go back to drawing and painting images by hand!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Um, yeah. I was going to say something about overestimation and AV products trying to head fake web sites. Lots of people are still using computers that run Windows XP. Many of those users often use Internet Explorer, even older versions of it. They can't even install IE9 on such machines (and IE9 has pretty dismal HTML5 support) much less be able to run the next version of IE (which is still going to be pretty deficient on HTML5 support).

Then we have to figure in the other devices being used to view web pages. HTML5 support on tablets and smart phones is nowhere near as good as it is on a desktop/laptop web browser like Google Chrome. For instance, the stock browser in Android phones can't support SVG graphics. SVG has been around since the late 1990s! It's an open source format.

Pat Whatley

Yes, I blew about half my day playing with the demo. This is my first website ever. Sure, it's basic as hell but with another few hours of tweaking and plugging in information it will serve it's purpose well. I am going to replace the BANDS section with a carousel of band photos, the photos will be linked to bio's, the bio's will link to the bands website.

here's the published "test" site just to give you a little idea of what an idiot without a clue can pound out in a few hours.

http://wwwriverandbluesnet.businesscatalyst.com/index.html