• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe PhotoShop Large Document Format

sjm

A client supplied a PSB file and at the last minute requested to have vector artwork added to it. Illustrator reports it's an unknown format and that it can not be opened, while PhotoShop has no problem opening it.

In trying to open the vector artwork in PhotoShop it is all messed up yet it opens fine in Illustrator.

I burnt the better part of the evening and this morning making things work with no success. You would think with PhotoShop and Illustrator being both Adobe products this would be a relatively easy.

Can anyone help as I am obviously missing something.

uneedasign

I find sometimes it works better to open the vetor file in Photoshop, then copy and past it into the open photoshop file. If you get a window with choices, check smart object to past.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Can you flatten the PSB and save it as a JPEG? Then place into Illustrator and put the vectors over it.

I have also found that most PSBs can usually be reduced to a lower resolution for printing. What is it at currently?

sjm

The PSB is 600" x 108" @ 72 dpi and I am trying to work with it at 1/4 scale in Illustrator. I'll try saving it as a JPEG to see if that helps.

Letterbox Mike

Why not open the PSB in Photoshop and the vector art in illustrator? Then just copy and paste the vector art into the .psb file in Photoshop, flatten and save as a .tiff? Seems like the easiest way. Just did that this morning in fact.

Rooster

Why not open the PSB in Photoshop and the vector art in illustrator? Then just copy and paste the vector art into the .psb file in Photoshop, flatten and save as a .tiff? Seems like the easiest way. Just did that this morning in fact.

Ding ding ding..... we have a winner.

Tell the good folks what he's won Chuck.

BALLPARK

That is the best way to do it!

sjm

Thanks for everyone's input. It was quiet a learning day I must say.

I learnt you can not save a PSB as a JPEG, only as a PSB a RAW PhotoShop or TIFF. Copying and pasting the Illustrator Artwork into PhotoShop, yielded the same results as trying to open the Vector Artwork directly into PhotoShop. By that what I mean it was still messed up. For the lack of a better description there were stray vectors or lines.

I thought what the heck let me try setting this up in InDesign, what do I have to lose?

I placed the PSB and Vector Artwork in InDesign with no problems. The file is currently ripping.

I am stumped trying to make sense as to why but it seems to be working.