• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advertising a monthly special - ideas?

Reveal1

Not to get this off track but we used to use adwords and it seemed to be effective but tough to tell. I get that it's something that you really have to work properly in order to fully benefit from it. What turned me off of it was them constantly upping the cost of the keywords and I found it hard to believe that all of the sudden other companies were after these same obscure words. We were advertising real niche products with a very small market and only a few competitors across the country. Not like we are competing with local plumbers.

Agree - we need to stay on top of it but there are tools that help. I really dislike the tech oligarchs, but unfortunately they have a growing monopoly on getting a message out, like it or not. Both Google and MS have tools for analysis - can even tell how many called you if they originated from cell. You can set a budget for each set of keywords (for example to get first ranking on 'decals' , you might need $2.50, so maybe first page is good enough @1.00. ) Also, you can confine area to cities, counties, or a given radius - that is where you can really save$ and target. There are tons of companies that can help, but really, a smart business student working part time can get you set up. Worst part is when the censors took down a bunch of my keyword phrases because they had the word 'coronavirus' or Covid in them.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
This will help, a few things I would suggest:

May is too late to start on the grad signs. If you are going to work with school districts, you should start now. We'll print a couple hundred thousand of them before May.
https://www.firesprint.com/graduation/products/

Back when we were retail, we built our entire business on this yard sign:
https://www.firesprint.com/100-sign-special/

These will get phone calls if you put them out. From there you can upsell them all of your services!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Try running “deals” instead of discounts. I.e. get a whole bunch of stuff and get “x” off the whole lot.

A few companies nearby us have started doing branding packages. Such as 1 vehicle, 2 signs, 5 hoodies etc and if you get it all you get a discount.

in other words, sell as much as you can whilst running your deals so the hit on profits isn’t as bad. Plus it gets the word out that you’re a one stop shop.

Stacey K

I like making signs
This will help, a few things I would suggest:

May is too late to start on the grad signs. If you are going to work with school districts, you should start now. We'll print a couple hundred thousand of them before May.
https://www.firesprint.com/graduation/products/

Back when we were retail, we built our entire business on this yard sign:
https://www.firesprint.com/100-sign-special/

These will get phone calls if you put them out. From there you can upsell them all of your services!
This is a great idea and I better get started now. I made a lot of money during covid last year with graduation signs, banners and shirts. OP: make a few samples and add them to your website and put them on FB. Lots of parents are excited to buy these!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Agree - we need to stay on top of it but there are tools that help. I really dislike the tech oligarchs, but unfortunately they have a growing monopoly on getting a message out, like it or not. Both Google and MS have tools for analysis - can even tell how many called you if they originated from cell. You can set a budget for each set of keywords (for example to get first ranking on 'decals' , you might need $2.50, so maybe first page is good enough @1.00. ) Also, you can confine area to cities, counties, or a given radius - that is where you can really save$ and target. There are tons of companies that can help, but really, a smart business student working part time can get you set up. Worst part is when the censors took down a bunch of my keyword phrases because they had the word 'coronavirus' or Covid in them.
Yeah we did all of that, the budget, specific geographical areas, phrases, words to ignore etc. I spent quite a bit of time with it. It's been a while but I think we had something like refurbished crosswind and it was cheap, say .25. A day later it kicks us down saying that others were outbidding us and it was now $2 for front page. Then came all of the clicks on something that has an extremely limited market, it just wasn't possible. I dunno, it just seemed shady and it was expensive. There is no transparency and they hide behind it being a trade secret if they are ever accused of anything. I know that it works but my money was spent better in other areas.
Now that I think about it, I recall that I was curious about the shenanigans. I turned all of them off except one and increased my budget. That one phrase was a dog until I allowed it to use everything I had in the budget and it did. Its been years so my recollection of how it all worked may be a bit off but I did understand it all when I was doing it.

Last edited:

Saturn

Aging Member
Get a nice Instagram going and follow every other business in town or the region. If the businesses are small enough it's a often direct line to the owner or other decision maker, and as humans we love nothing more than having someone compliment how handsome our cat looks on the sofa. I seriously get a TON of follow-ups from people that I left a pleasant message for a few days previously, a little scary how well it works... Even better if you're in a position to focus on a niche market like musicians or automotive.

I also like being able to just tell people to look at the Instagram page when they are wondering what sort of things I do regularly, as it's going to (typically) be more current than a website and more engaging.

This is only sort of what you're talking about, but I would suggest everyone that's small and starting out to create their Google Business review link so they have it handy and can add it to invoices or to send via email when the right situation presents itself. Google Business reviews are GOLD.

Jeremiah

I offer quality at a fair price. I do not match anyone else's prices. Why offer a special price ? I have a few items that are in our display room that are lower prices and obviously lower quality. ( items sold on the internet) so people can see apple's vs crab apples. But my main offer us quality service.

gnubler

Thanks everybody for all the responses. Some really great ideas here! It's easy to get overwhelmed having so many options and figuring out what works and what doesn't in getting new business in the door.

I managed to get my account blocked from Facebook again, it has something to do with my location trying to login using a satellite connection. Same thing happened with my Google Business account, but fortunately I got that cleared up. Social media is no longer "free" once I factor in the sheer amount of time spent just trying to make it work. Is anyone else not using social at all and finding success using other online avenues? It's just not realistic for me to follow every business in my area and comment on their posts or try to keep up with conversations where people want and expect a reply instantly. I think a stagnant social site does more harm than good.

Internet here is so poky I do the DVD by mail deal with Netflix. I've told that to people elsewhere and they think I'm kidding.

gnubler

I offer quality at a fair price. I do not match anyone else's prices. Why offer a special price ? I have a few items that are in our display room that are lower prices and obviously lower quality. ( items sold on the internet) so people can see apple's vs crab apples. But my main offer us quality service.

Well put! I'm not a fan of gimmicks and advertising, in general. Trying to do as little of it as possible and build my business 'organically' with uncommonly good service.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Something I just did for my local outdoors club...be involved in donating things to certain club events, etc. I just donated a school spirit hoodie, tshirt and blanket along with a $50 gift certificate. This kind of thing is good as it gets your name out there, it shows you care about and are involved in your community and it gets people in your door who might not have before.

AND, here's a story about gift certificates. - don't forget an expiration date! A local accountant won one of my $50 gift certificates like 2 years ago. He has been in THREE times for estimates for a multitude of signs. He also inquired about getting some hoodies, he would have had to pitch in like $20 and he would NOT buy them. He has wasted a few hours of my time and he NEVER buys anything and never uses the gift certificate! I also never see that he hired anyone else to make the signs. His mom came in right before Christmas and got him and his wife those god damn hoodies as xmas gifts and never even asked what the price was going to be, super nice lady. Guys a jerk, I never put an expiration date on it so now in 5 years he could come in and use it. There's plenty of stuff he can get for under $50 so what's the deal? Burns my ass! LOL

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Thanks everybody for all the responses. Some really great ideas here! It's easy to get overwhelmed having so many options and figuring out what works and what doesn't in getting new business in the door.

I managed to get my account blocked from Facebook again, it has something to do with my location trying to login using a satellite connection. Same thing happened with my Google Business account, but fortunately I got that cleared up. Social media is no longer "free" once I factor in the sheer amount of time spent just trying to make it work. Is anyone else not using social at all and finding success using other online avenues? It's just not realistic for me to follow every business in my area and comment on their posts or try to keep up with conversations where people want and expect a reply instantly. I think a stagnant social site does more harm than good.

Internet here is so poky I do the DVD by mail deal with Netflix. I've told that to people elsewhere and they think I'm kidding.
gnubler I imagine that you have certain types of sign projects that are your favorite, that you are efficient and profitable. And then, target some possible clients that potentially could become lifetime clients.
Good to hear that you got your Google Business account cleared up. I am here to help make your Google account profitable.

Stallion Signs

Years back I used to do this. I offered discounts on "non-seasonal" items. Vehicles in January, banners in February, things like that.

These days, I would do something like this instead:
500 Free business cards with a vehicle install
10 free 1 color, one sided yard signs with a vehicle install
5 free 1 color tshirts with a vehicle install
Vehicle install - pick 10 yard signs, 10 tshirts or 500 business cards

Ooh, I like this! I just may be copying some of your ideas :D