• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice On Printer

Rover31

Hi awesome site here with tons of great info!

We are looking to purchase a flatbed printer but which one?
UV or Eco-solvent?
Chinese import or spendy supported US based one?

Lets back up for the needs and story...
We are re-starting a small niche business that was shuttered for a few years. Previous owners spit up. We manufacture a several products. Injection molded rigid plastics, injection molded soft plastics and custom cut lean and HDPE plastics for printing of custom logos and graphics. These items are 3mm to 2cm in thickness.

The previous owners had used pad printing logos on several of the products and then also had a Neoflex printer (using eco-solvents) for the graphics on the flat lean and HDPE pieces. Both of these had great results. However I live rural and do not have any access to a pad printer and the flat plastic pieces are "short run" only 100-250 pieces at a time.

My desire is to have a printer that "can do it all" Of course we all do right?
Needs.
as much durability as possible some of the products are used and will have wear on them. I would like the graphics to not chip and be scratch resistant.

Attached is a file of what was done in the past. I would like to do the same again.

I have looked at Neoflex long and hard. I have not gotten any response to several emails and phone calls. I do not think the support is there anymore. Much of what I read was positive in the past and not so much now. I have found a used one but the person wants a mint for it. Looking at the Chinese units I am a bit scared but should I be?
I have also looked at some of the diy flatbeds...

comments?

Attachments

• IMG_6613.jpg
    IMG_6613.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

printhog

id caution against chinese units.. unless you are VERY skilled in operating and maintaining these types of machines. As for what youre showing, how about dye sub with heat press? high resolution, low cost, and dang easy. An inexpensive epson with a nice geoknight press could be the way to go. literally under $2000... build a jig to hold the items and you're off to the races.. and the results, with the color embedded, will outlast any ink application.

A Look at Dye Sublimation

Rover31

Printhog,
I have looked at dye sub but have my reservations
It seems it would be incredibly time consuming.
Putting the film sheet on each piece and pressing each one.
The jig you speak of I assume like in a flatbed each piece is in a "location" so, multiple items for each print and press?
So the printer puts out a sheet with the prints configured for the heat press jig right?
Have to look into that I suppose sounds interesting.

However I still am pulled by the Chinese uv printers they are about the same price. Much less "foolproof" though to go with a supported system no matter what method...

Thanks!

Last edited:

ikarasu

Depending on the material, UV scratches pretty easy. Dibond, coro, plastics... UV is good for many things, but I wouldn't use it on what I'm assuming is a keychain? They'll get scratched really, really easy.

We only have one flatbed, and it's UV... so I can't attest to eco-solv on plastics, or dye sub. I do have some Dye-sub mugs though, and I can't scratch them no matter how hard I try. Dye sub might be the best route for you...

Search this forum for chinese UV printers. A lot of them break down after a month or two, and have quirks. If you're projects are time sensitive, and you'll be relying on consistency... Don't go chinese.

printhog

I've done dye sub. It's the proper way to make that sample you're showing. Sincee they're small you group two dozen or so on a jig, with a single sheet of dye sub transfer over them. Perhaps a minute or two at 320 degrees and you've got 24 pieces. Most desktop printers can handle dye sub inks, and the ink is literally permanently fused in the item. (Technically it's a dye that volts the item. The ink converts from solid to gas (sublimates) and that colors the item.

For the types of plastic you mention that is the best way to go, and also the least expensive.

Pad printers and UV printers deposit a layer of ink on the surface, and both will scratch off, and some may offset immediately after print. I wouldn't make those that way, unless you can get a proven UV system that is reliably assured to not have ink failure.

As for the tags, are they molded, and if so do you use any mold release compound to get them out of the mold? That will definitely affect what process you're using for decoration.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Rover31

Thanks again for all of the advise!

The wear on the UV that does concern me. Being easy to scratch off is not acceptable. I have read some things were "getting the ink and curing set up correctly will prevent that" I think it is marketing hype though.

No the tags are not molded they are cnc routed.

I do like the dye sub cost, very appealing. Lots of support ales and service items
I was trying to go the route of "easier" production. The printers UV or eco-solv flatbeds, no matter which one seem to have various issues. head cleaning/use issues, driver malfunctions, support seems to be the most common complaint.

I do know the previous owners used the Neoflex with eco-solvents, that is how the graphics were done with the pic I posted above.
I did have a guy look at them and he immediately said " think these are dye sub". But then upon closer inspection you can tell they are an injet.

I guess no I know my biggest concern is getting a system in place that works is reliable and can do multiple product types. Heck with the dy sub I could show down some promo t-shirts! Ok wait, I think I will try one thing at a time!

Thanks a ton!!!