• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advise on Monument construction Aluminum

armandolo

Hey everyone.

im trying to make a aluminum monument. I'm going to give it to metal fabricator but am a bit puzzled how to do the reveal.

Its a a standard box aluminum monument with a bottom section, reveal
and the top section. I'm thinking the frame will be made of aluminum angle and the faces will be either welded or screwed onto the face. I just can't fingers out how to do the reveal section.

This is my first one so pardon not knowing a lot of things.. Any help or tip would be appreciated

signbrad

One easy way is building three boxes.

If you build the bottom box to sit on your foundation pad, you do not need posts, though most lighted cabinets are normally mounted from the inside top to posts. Use angle aluminum framing for the top and bottom boxes, with .080" skins. The middle reveal can simply be a frame of mitered aluminum channel, with a smaller perimeter than the top and bottom, just as J Hill said. It should be open at the top and bottom. Pre-assemble, then take it apart for painting. Instruct your fabricators to build access panels in the top box so you can fasten it to the middle piece. Removable end panels would work. For the bottom cabinet, leave an opening in the top to access concrete fasteners. You could use concrete screws, like Tapcons, to attach the bottom to the pad, but if you use drop-in studs instead, you can just drill holes in the bottom of your cabinet and nut it down on the inside. Studs will also allow you to use multiple nuts if you wish, very handy for leveling the box and raising it off the pad slightly.

Obviously, you can build the top and bottom from store-bought extruded aluminum components. If you use knock-down kits, you can assemble them yourself. I have seen people put these together entirely with Lord adhesive--no welding. Would it save a lot? I don't know.

I meant to draw a picture showing this kind of a monument, since I'm preparing a drawing for a blog post on this subject anyway, but I haven't done it yet. Too many irons in the fire right now. But I think the explanation above is fairly clear.

Have fun,

Brad in Kansas City