• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advise with electric specs on the 570

ironchef

You guys using 2 - 220 30 amps?
Also can I get a picture of both cords (printer and heater) to show my electrician. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TomK

You guys using 2 - 220 30 amps?
Also can I get a picture of both cords (printer and heater) to show my electrician. Thanks.

2 x 220 amp's installed here, although 2x20amp 220v would have worked.

All plugs/part #'s, etc are in the install guide you should have received.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have a single 220 20amp branched circuit here. Honestly total load at Max is 16amps if one circuit goes down the whole printer does so might as well save money.

All 3 of our printers are wired this way with no issues.

Sign.ed

Additive question: What kind of protection do y'all run? Do y'all run anything with UPS packs on them? The former owner of this shop ran every electrical device with a UPS... a bit overkill in my eyes, but wasn't my call.

FrankW

There is a site preparation guide available to download on the HP Website. Search for Latex 570, click on "manuals". No UPS is neccessary, and very expensive too for the power consumption of a 570

ironchef

Yea that's on my mind too, will one of these work?
b96dce49e4e302c52c8afd93fc3337df.jpg

ironchef

My electrician is charging me 1000 to install a bigger panel in my breaker box ( I'm already full) a separate, dedicated line from the box to the printer with 2 220v30amps

TomK

My electrician is charging me 1000 to install a bigger panel in my breaker box ( I'm already full) a separate, dedicated line from the box to the printer with 2 220v30amps

I too looked at UPS protection, was costly af. My elec guy put in a surge protector that would protect the printer from any spikes, which was good enough for me.

Sign.ed

There is a site preparation guide available to download on the HP Website. Search for Latex 570, click on "manuals". No UPS is neccessary, and very expensive too for the power consumption of a 570

My argument. However, the previous owners ran their Roland off a huge UPS. The new owner learned everything she knows about signs from them so she has all of their habits, good and bad.

We have all the electrical in place. I thought the point of the breakers was to trip should the machine end up drawing more than 20amps. Wouldn't that include a large electrical spike, say a lightning strike to the buildings electrical? (Their go to example)

As old as this building is, if it gets hit by lightning I'd be more worried about fire than a burning up a fairly modern machine. One that faults its self if you fart too close to it.

EDIT: The censored word is "F-A-R-T" :'D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My argument. However, the previous owners ran their Roland off a huge UPS. The new owner learned everything she knows about signs from them so she has all of their habits, good and bad.

We have all the electrical in place. I thought the point of the breakers was to trip should the machine end up drawing more than 20amps. Wouldn't that include a large electrical spike, say a lightning strike to the buildings electrical? (Their go to example)

As old as this building is, if it gets hit by lightning I'd be more worried about fire than a burning up a fairly modern machine. One that faults its self if you **** too close to it.

EDIT: The censored word is "F-A-R-T" :'D

This. The point of using the correct breakers here is to trip if something should surge or draw too much.

Sign.ed

This. The point of using the correct breakers here is to trip if something should surge or draw too much.

Right. So a UPS is not necessary.

Boss also makes me unplug the machine every night when I leave, if we aren't printing after hours.

ironchef

So does that mean a 30 amp will do more harm then good? And my electrician explained that if a big surge comes thru the building, the meter box should ground it. But we've been having alot of power outages lately with the rain in Miami, so I'm having the buildings meter room checked incase the ground isn't set up right.

Christian @ 2CT Media

So does that mean a 30 amp will do more harm then good? And my electrician explained that if a big surge comes thru the building, the meter box should ground it. But we've been having alot of power outages lately with the rain in Miami, so I'm having the buildings meter room checked incase the ground isn't set up right.

Yes! Your circuit breaker should be no more than 25% greater than your maximum load. In the latex the draw is asymmetrical so on the computer side max load is 4amps and on the heater it's 12amps so technically you need a 5amp and 15amp breaker or 1 20amp breaker and a branched circuit. You don't need seperating breakers for each line as this printer won't turn on of one power circuit goes down.

Sign.ed

Yes! Your circuit breaker should be no more than 25% greater than your maximum load. In the latex the draw is asymmetrical so on the computer side max load is 4amps and on the heater it's 12amps so technically you need a 5amp and 15amp breaker or 1 20amp breaker and a branched circuit. You don't need seperating breakers for each line as this printer won't turn on of one power circuit goes down.

We are running a pair of 20's.

We already had a pair of 220s run to where we out our printer. We just had the breakers changed from 30A to 20A.

Christian @ 2CT Media

HP wants clean power so they will always say you should use seperating circuits but if you read their install guide it says branched circuit.

So electricity will draw amps until the breaker is tripped or the circuit is overloaded. If your 4amp max circuit draws all the way to 20amps the chance of fire is significantly increased and total loss can ensue. If you use the guideline of 25% over max you greatly limit fire and damaging loss.

This is from the site prep guide:
Table 2-5 Dedicated lines per SKU
HP Latex 560/570
Dedicated line Not required. Do not overload lines. Refer to Table 2-4
Branch circuit breaker 2 poles, 16 A/20 A according to Local Laws and printer maximum load current
Residual current circuit breaker (1) Recommended
2 poles, 30 mA residual, at least 20 A capacity

ironchef

OK cool, I'll tell my electrician to do two 20 amps. Or branched off one 20 amp breaker?