• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Airplane graphics

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I slapped a largish logo on both sides of the tail of a small plane some years ago. As far as I know it's still there. I just used the same cast vinyl I'd have used if it were a truck door. Nothing special. If it were a larger plane capable of cruising at serious altitudes vinyl would not have worked. I would have painted it instead. One Shot most likely.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We provided the stripes but customer installed

1653685826677.png

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
this is one of the 5 planes used in the old TV series "Sky King" (and his niece Penny) which belonged to my friend. The decal was HP vinyl and the painting was 1-Shot enamel on HP vinyl. Gently warmed with a heat gun to conform to the curves. It lasted for two years without any issues before he sold the plane. (c.1990) when I was a good looking young buck.
scans0007.jpg

scans0008.jpg

scans0009.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I’ve lettered a few small planes and helicopters. Some with 3M cast vinyl and some with 1 shot paint. Vinyl can be a bitch because they are riveted to hell… not like a box truck Lol.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Depends greatly on if it is going on a higher altitude pressurized aircraft for one. If so, you cannot just put whatever you feel is appropriate. There are very specific materials for those that you cannot just buy from Fellers, etc like 3M A7322 and A7706. On those the aircraft logs have to be notated, inspected, exact weight and composition of the materials, location, specific certifications for the installers, etc.

Google those 3M numbers above and read the data sheets for them to give you and idea of requirements....

Things like "The sale of exterior aircraft graphic film is restricted to qualified parties.", "Usually an engineering change request procedure must be engaged and completed prior to proceeding with the approved process to apply graphic film onto aircrafts."

On smaller low flying aircraft it is much more relaxed but still many things have to be considered. Cannot just take a torch to rivets, cannot just make cuts on the plane, must be aware that what might look like a tiny pinhole in the fuselage might be an important sensor or something. They are also extremely thin and easy to dent. We have done stuff on a number of smaller planes and helicopters but nothing on anything that has a pressurized cabin.

Last edited: