• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Alibaba or eBay?

netsol

Here's an area where I have no experience...
I want to buy a piece of equipment.
Found thr same item on eBay & alibaba

eBay price $695. +$99 shipping from china

Alibaba price. $300.

It is a 1 time purchase. 1 item, about the size of a breadbox, or a little bigger

Weighing approx 20 lb

Obviously coming from china either way

Question is, will I be saving money with alibaba? Or should I just pay the price on eBay, and avoid being surprised that the savings I expect never materializes?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
nothing wrong with alibaba.

only difference one may be shipped locally vs from china. so can take longer

netsol

My question is, if I click on buy it now, on eBay, it seems I will be paying more, but my part will be done!

(I know, that isn't a question)

The item is about the size and weight of a toaster. REALISTICALLY, what would I expect to pay, for shipping?
(eBay shipping $99)
How long until I can expect to see it? (eBay purchase approx 1 month)

So, when the dust settles, am I really saving $400? Or will I just be paying the same money?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
$99 seems high for shipping because they get it subsidized over there complamants of our post office and tax payers. It usually takes a month and a half on things for me.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
If you want endless e-mails and the possibility of having your card number stolen, go with Alibooboo.
I will never buy from them again!

David40

Here's an area where I have no experience...
I want to buy a piece of equipment.
Found thr same item on eBay & alibaba

eBay price $695. +$99 shipping from china

Alibaba price. $300.

It is a 1 time purchase. 1 item, about the size of a breadbox, or a little bigger

Weighing approx 20 lb

Obviously coming from china either way

Question is, will I be saving money with alibaba? Or should I just pay the price on eBay, and avoid being surprised that the savings I expect never materializes?
Alibaba is a crap shoot. They present a great price and either very low or free shipping. That is great of nothing goes wrong. If you happen to get the wrong item or a defective item you'll have a heart attack when you see the cost of return shipping. That happened to me with a maintenance station for my Mutoh. It was going to cost more to return it than the part was worth. So if you are a gambling man, are lucky, and can aford to loose the money then I'd say give it a shot, otherwise stick with a US seller and have recourse of something goes wrong.

hobbymad

Alibaba is great but be aware that the "price" on the listing is typically way lower that the actual price they will quote you. They will say its because the one on listing is missing a feature, or the shipping is more that expected bla bla. Aliexpress is actually a closer equivalent to Ebay.

David40

Alibaba is great but be aware that the "price" on the listing is typically way lower that the actual price they will quote you. They will say its because the one on listing is missing a feature, or the shipping is more that expected bla bla. Aliexpress is actually a closer equivalent to Ebay.
My experience is that Alibaba is mainly for bulk commercial purchases, except when it comes to high end items like a two thousand dollar print head, at that price they will sell just one. Aliexpress on the other hand is like the retail version of Alibaba where you can purchase a single item of anything. But still, both are coming from China so you have that same shipping issues, although with a cheap item it's not that big a deal. I actually purchased a 12 dollar item on Aliexpress that was defective. They gave me a refund and told me to just keep the item, but they could have insisted on returning it which could have cost 50 bucks to ship back. Once I ordered an item I never did receive because the shipping was closed down due to Covid. I waited 4 months and ended up demanding a refund because they could not get the item to me. I just read one of their ports was just closed due to one case of Covid. So like I said before, dealing with China directly is a crap shoot.

hobbymad

Yeah and getting to know the seller via messaging is crucial on Alibaba. You will soon spot the pushy or dodgy ones - and there are many. But I have a few suppliers now that are almost friends and we have excellent relationships.