• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Allen Datagraph

rfulford

I have been looking for a used vinyl plotter for a few months. I came across a Allen Datagraph 1036 with a automatic take up reel and a computer with CassMate software in working order that is still in use. From the photos, this thing looks like its built like a tank but I can't find much info about the plotter. I do know that it is 30" wide and does not have smart mark capability. What I would really like to know about the machine is as follows:

What do you think the unit is worth on its own. I am not particularly interested in the computer and CasMate software?

Should I be interested in CassMate? It does not appear to be supported any longer? Are there advantages to this program over direct cutting out of illustrator?

What is your general impressions of ADSI? I read elsewhere on the forums that Allen Datagraph folded and ADSI emerged.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Robert

OldPaint

casmate was a damn fine SIGN CAD program. shame it was discontinued. but the now corels.........are almost as good.

GVP

All I can say is we recently had issues with our Allen Datagraph plotter and their technical support guy (Ray Marsh) was extremely helpful and got us sorted out. I like the company - and the machine we have is also built like a tank.

cgsigns_jamie

We have an 830D, and, like you said, the thing is built like a tank.

I don't use the 830 but once every few months (have a new Graphtec FC-8000) but it still runs like new. I think we bought it new in 1994.

The only maintenance I've ever done is replaced the blades, cut strip, and wheels. Otherwise we've never had a single issue with it in the 16 years we've owned it.

studio 440

great old machine but plotters are so cheap now why not buy new. check out the vendors on this site.if you buy new you can get updated software that will run on 64 bit

rfulford

New would be better but this plotter would not be for use with my company but for home use instead. My budget for this pretty much dictates used or cheap. I am more afraid of the USCutter & GCC offerings than this machine. I emailed ADSI yesterday and received 2 immediate and helpful responses which is a lot more than I have heard from anyone who bought Chinese. I guess I am still on the fence over this one. Do I take the plunge and go for a great older machine or do I hold my breath for a better price on a used Grapthec / etc? I am going to look at it this weekend. Guess I know more then.

AllenTechGuy

ADSI Plotters

Hi Robert, and Happy New Year to all!
Just to give you a little background on ADSI, Allen Datagraph was started in 1980 by Richard Allen. He sold the company in 2000 and retired. Allen Datagraph never folded at all, just was bought out by another party and renamed Allen Datagraph Systems, Inc., hence the ADSI.
The 1036 is still supported, and is a great machine. I was actually involved in the design and implementaion of the roll-to roll cutters, and built the first vinyl cutters Allen ever made in 1990. I am currently employed as Service and Tech Support Manager by ADSI.
The company still thrives, and our products are sold in over 40 countries currently. As a mater of fact, we just finished up an all-time record year. The company has diversified into other areas, such as label printing and finishing equipment, laser engravers for the monument trade, as well as automated sandblast systems.
If you have any questions regarding any ADSI equipment, please feel free to contact me at rmarsh@adsi-usa.com.