• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Alternatives to Avery 2611 (Wall Vinyl)

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Recently, we've been getting a lot of re-dos for Avery 2611 wall vinyl. We've used the correct profile, tested the walls, let offgass for 72 hours (or often more) and done our cutting and installation and moved on, only to have a client return in 3 months because it's starting to curl or fail. I don't know if it's low-VOC paint or humidity what, but it's frustrating.

What does everyone use for wall graphics these days? We're starting to feel like it's time to say "screw it" to Avery 2611 and just slap regular 2923 on there or something "permanent" as opposed to the "removeable" 2611. We've tried RiteMedia wall vinyl and found it lacking.

Is "regular" vinyl an option? Would we want to laminate that or is that asking for more variables? Is there a better wall media? What do you folks do?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mojave Sign Ad works really well on walls and windows. I have had some prints up on painted walls for over 5 years and they don't curl.

Dan360

We had same problems with 2611, though we still use it on rare occasions. 3M 40c is our go-to for murals, only issue we've had was with cut graphics on a recently painted wall that they claimed was painted months before.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
3m 40 C for permanent murals and such. Looking for low tac removable or short-moderate term, go with a Microdot product. QMLS Duravinyl 157. There are a few other manufacturers of that substrate as well. SEAL being one I believe.

CanuckSigns

for removable, the only product that works everytime is Phototex. For permanant, just use a good quality vinyl, either IJ180, or if cost is a concern IJ40c.

Pewter0000

Mmmm, IJ180? So we're talking cast vinyl on a flat wall? I figured I could get away with Avery's calendared.

3m 40 C for permanent murals and such. Looking for low tac removable or short-moderate term, go with a Microdot product. QMLS Duravinyl 157. There are a few other manufacturers of that substrate as well. SEAL being one I believe.

We've used Seal's microdot vinyl before but we find it's both curly and paint-destroying, depending on use. So we keep it to windows and smooth surfaces - very repositionable.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We use QMLS Duravinyl variation more than Seal and its a great substrate. We have never had a complaint for short term use at events or for short term murals. The natural air egress of the dot pattern makes install very easy.

Commando

I quit using avery trash 10 years ago.
I use IJ180 for things like this. Doesnt curl, and easily repositionable.

Reveal1

+1 for 40c. Although advertised as removable, it's more 'long-term removable with more grip. Much more stable dimensionally than Avery 2611 which we used for several years. For walls we laminate (usually matte) to make it easier to apply and panel match as most of our wall wraps are mid-long term use anyway. 40c the only 3M product I still use, but use a lot of it for walls, flat vehicle graphics, cut lettering - sort of a do-everything product. Even wrapped my appliances at home with it.

Pewter0000

Thanks folks, this is super helpful. We tend to shy from IJ180 because we've never been able to get our Roland to really nail it, no matter what profiles we've tried (minor banding in oranges etc) and since we've just had better luck with other materials. But sounds like 40c might be worth a shot!

Bly

We use a lot of 2611 and rarely have an issue.
One of our installers runs double sided tape along the top edge of all murals done in this stuff.

Reveal1

Sometimes it seems nothing will stick to certain painted surfaces. Broken record - but always test adhesion before print. Our solutions:
  • 50/50 Alcohol (denatured fine) wipe down (all jobs)
  • Scuff with scotchbrite pad and wipe down alcohol
  • Post heat
  • Use more aggressive adhesive like Walk N Wall, Phototex or permanent adhesive calendared film (like 35c)
  • Use ProBond Adhesion promoter for small areas/edges - way better than 3M primer and ready in 15 seconds. (DS tape works on edges assuming the tape itself sticks)
  • Worst case - Killz primer wall and come back in a few days.