• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aluminum Jewelite Alternative?

ehellstrand

We've caught wind of a new way to retain faces in Channel Letters, using a light sensitive(?) metal instead of Jewelite. Gives the letters a seamless (retainerless) look. Apparently you must store this stuff in the dark?
Just going off details we were given.

Anyone have any idea what this stuff could be?

AnthonyRalano

We've caught wind of a new way to retain faces in Channel Letters, using a light sensitive(?) metal instead of Jewelite. Gives the letters a seamless (retainerless) look. Apparently you must store this stuff in the dark?
Just going off details we were given.

Anyone have any idea what this stuff could be?
photos?

visual800

there is a PetSupermarket here in town that has this on there letters and it looks great. Its like someone took 1/2" x 1/2" thin aluminum angle iron and melted it to fit around letters. Looks so much better than damn jewelite. That was the first thing i noticed when they moved here. I have found best pic on web i could

Attachments

• ls.jpg
    ls.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 301

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
There are a few ways to do capless/trimless letters. I don't see why it has to be some light sensitive shrinking metal.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
there is a PetSupermarket here in town that has this on there letters and it looks great. Its like someone took 1/2" x 1/2" thin aluminum angle iron and melted it to fit around letters. Looks so much better than damn jewelite. That was the first thing i noticed when they moved here. I have found best pic on web i could
These letters look to be pretty big. It is probably just aluminum retainers instead of jewelite. Generally channel letters over 4 or 5ft tall we spec aluminum retainers for durability.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rocco G

Most likely it's soft aluminum trim from Admiral Wholesale. They have a few styles and sell a tool to bend it. It supposedly anneals over time and gets harder. I've always wanted to try it myself but never did.