• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aluminum with Cut Vinyl Clear Coated

dlndesign

Looking to see if there is any opinion's on the durability of cut vinyl that is not outdoor rated, clear coated on aluminum inside a garage with no direct sun. Does anyone have some thoughts on the life-span on this or would it be a better option to print on a cast vinyl and clear coat? Thoughts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya got a lot going on here.

Are you gonna clear the vinyl before you cut it or after you put it on the aluminum ?? You don't wanna clearcoat any vinyl on the final destination substrate. The vinyl will srink and crack the clear. You're putting 3 different materials together and they're not really compatible.

Your best bet would be to print directly on the backboard and either laminate or liquid lam.

dlndesign

Gino, not three just two, deciding between the solid cut vinyl or the HP Printable Vinyl... I wasn't aware of the coating prior to mounting, that's new to me. I'm leaning toward direct and liquid uv rated lam. Thanks for the info.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looking to see if there is any opinion's on the durability of cut vinyl that is not outdoor rated, clear coated on aluminum inside a garage with no direct sun. Does anyone have some thoughts on the life-span on this or would it be a better option to print on a cast vinyl and clear coat? Thoughts?

That is three materials.

petepaz

is it just cut vinyl or is it printed and cut vinyl? if its just cut vinyl/plotter vinyl then you wouldn't need laminate or clear coat or maybe i am misunderstanding ?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He's not being explicit enough for us to actually help. He knows what he wants, but can't word it properly. He'll get there.

Main thing is not to use a liquid lam on it, after its down on the aluminum. Inside or not, in the sun or whatever, they all breath at a different rate and can cause cracking along the edges regardless of what vinyl he uses.

boardboy330

I wouldn't clear over cut vinyl myself. I would rather print and laminate vinyl and apply to the substrate. That said, if I wanted it long term I would use 3169 not cheap vinyl. Alternately, you can direct print and spray clear. I have done this before for outdoor signs and they hold up really well.

visual800

I have clearcoated vinyl with Urathne automotive and as worked well, no shrinkage BUT you gotta scuff the vinyl and put down tack coat and then a good flood on 2 nd coat

Thats expensive to do clearcoat is high!