• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another Newby With Questions

Tina

Hi All. My husband and I recently purchased a LYNX 24" system from Sign Warehouse in Texas. We are trying to start a home based business to keep me home with the kids and away from the 9-5 stuff. My main problem is that Sign Warehouse is not very user friendly once they have your money. Do any of you know of any type of training materials we can get for their "Vinyl Express LXi 7.5" software? We have ALL KINDS of stuff on how to install and how to do a sign layout- but nothing on actually how to use the program. Also, does anyone know of a good place in So. Cal to get vinyl from? I would really rather not go through them for supplies.

Thanks for any help I can get.:thankyou:

TC49010

:Welcome: to :signs101:

I cant answer the questions on your software but someone should be able to help!!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The VE LXI software is a private label version of FlexiSign which makes it a very capable and powerful piece of software. I'm surprised that it was sold to you without a User Guide.

Learning the software will depend a lot on you, your skills, talents and experience. One good source for learning materials is GivemeHelp.com (see banner in the footer of every page at this site). He specializes in FlexiSign and has both videos and seminar offerings.

There are certainly lots of vinyl suppliers in SoCal. Check you Sign Supply Distributors listing in your local Yellow Pages for a start.

WVB

For dist. try going to your vinyl companies website and looking up dist. in your area.

http://www.oracal.com/ top right hand corner type in your area code along with the type of material you are after.

You can also try 3M's website, FDC has some good films made by Oracal/3M located at: www.fdcfilms.com very good people and good product. tel: 574-272-4400

Bill Preston

I am not familiar with either the plotter, or the program. Having said that, I'd suggest that rather than wasting vinyl during the learning curve, substitute 24 inch paper and put a pen in place of the blade to practice with. This assumes the plotter will accept a pen. Paper is way cheaper than vinyl.

Hope this is of some help.

bill preston

VinylCraft

I recived a Pen when i bought my 24" Lynx Great for doing samples. Trial and error is really the best way to try it unless you get ahold of a manuel

proinet

Bill Preston said:
I am not familiar with either the plotter, or the program. Having said that, I'd suggest that rather than wasting vinyl during the learning curve, substitute 24 inch paper and put a pen in place of the blade to practice with. This assumes the plotter will accept a pen. Paper is way cheaper than vinyl.

Hope this is of some help.

bill preston

Great idea, Bill. Where can 24" roll paper be found?

Thanks!

Bradster941

I buy paper at Staples. It comes in a 30" roll for $8.oo and I just cut a few inches off with a saw so it will fit. Then I roll it onto a cardboard mailing tube.

:Welcome: to :signs101: ....................................................................

skyhigh

Hi Tina, and welcome.

Maybe you can share with everyone, what prompted you to choose this as your "home business"? Do you have experience in graphic design, or maybe you have a friend that does it allready, and got you interested?

Just curious.

Tina

Thanks

:U Rock: I wanted to send out a quick thanks to all that responded to my help plea. I followed your suggestions and have found tutorials on the Sign Warehouse site, (thanks for that) and have gotten catalogs from numerous suppliers for comparisons. I am feeling less overwhelmed now.

Someone was curios as to why we started this side business. WELL...I have my husband to thank for that one! He has his own side business that he does outside of the fire department and thought that I needed something too, in order to bring in some extra cash. One of the captains he knew had his own graphics business and used to talk to my husband about doing it, too, and how easy it was. Unfortuantely, I was working full time then and didn't want to take on something esle. Now I am a stay at home mom and have "all kinds of time" to do this. I know once I get some knowledge under my belt, it will be fine- just frustrating starting out.

Thanks again for your responses! I truly appreciated the help.

Tina

KRC

Tina, I have LXI master+,What I did was install the manual from the disk provided and read alot, go back and forth between the manual and program step by step.Once I learned the desktop functions I moved into the Proudction Manager section and started cutting with all the various functions.Practice as much as you can,it turns out to be quite enjoyable after learning the program.Hope this helps.

KRC

imaSIGNr

sign r

Tina said:
Hi All. My husband and I recently purchased a LYNX 24" system from Sign Warehouse in Texas. We are trying to start a home based business to keep me home with the kids and away from the 9-5 stuff. My main problem is that Sign Warehouse is not very user friendly once they have your money. Do any of you know of any type of training materials we can get for their "Vinyl Express LXi 7.5" software? We have ALL KINDS of stuff on how to install and how to do a sign layout- but nothing on actually how to use the program. Also, does anyone know of a good place in So. Cal to get vinyl from? I would really rather not go through them for supplies.

Thanks for any help I can get.:thankyou:
I have

imaSIGNr

sign r

check your pdf file on your help tab, also try Flexiezine.com for much info on Flexi ( same thing )

K

kevco

Also, does anyone know of a good place in So. Cal to get vinyl from? I would really rather not go through them for supplies.

Thanks for any help I can get.:thankyou:[/quote]
I get all of my intermediate vinyl, and a lot of other stuff too, from Super Signmart ( www.sign-mart.com ) in Orange, CA not sure if that is in southern CA or not ( I've drunk a lot of beer since HS geography class:tongue: )

imaSIGNr

sign r

If you're not doing a lot of drawing you can save the backing paper from vinvl , flip it over and draw on it. It is very durable , fits the plotter and works well......imaSIGNr

K

Kevin Newby

kevco said:
I get all of my intermediate vinyl, and a lot of other stuff too, from Super Signmart ( www.sign-mart.com ) in Orange, CA not sure if that is in southern CA or not ( I've drunk a lot of beer since HS geography class:tongue: )

yes its right down in the L.A. area...they are my main
supplier. Their house brand intermediate is great stuff,
and as you know, weeds great. And cheap!

N.Glantz also has sign supplies, as well as interstate electric (youll need to use either of those if you want
Arlon vinyls)