• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another punk screwing up the sign biz.

jasonsvision

Sign Slave
Like I said, we have entered a new era, one price for online and another for those who are looking for reliability and quality, not just low cost solutions

OldPaint

new era............ALL PRINTERS WORK THE SAME, do the same job, quality, talent & service are no longer the most desirable traits of this business. they have been replaced by..........WHO CAN SELL THE CHEAPEST)))))))))))))))))))) iam laughing like crazy))))))))))

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
)))))))))))))))))))) iam laughing like crazy))))))))))

OP I am sure the VA has a prescription they could write for you - could help control some of that.

just say'n

wayne k
guam usa

Flame

new era............ALL PRINTERS WORK THE SAME, do the same job, quality, talent & service are no longer the most desirable traits of this business. they have been replaced by..........WHO CAN SELL THE CHEAPEST)))))))))))))))))))) iam laughing like crazy))))))))))

Well we both know you can't design... so maybe to you it's all the same ;)

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Pat Whatley

I have to wonder Pat, if you ever worry about the "lowballers" in your area....or is that a title that you hold?
No, I very rarely even bother thinking about what the other vinyl shops in town charge. I run my business, not theirs. I can tell you that I hear "You're higher than ____________" at least once a week and that my "biggest" competitor sells custom banners for half of what I charge for one offs.

Are their others in your area that "wholesale" like you do, or does most of the other sign shops do printing "in-house"? Not sure why that matters but most of the established shops have their own printers. I don't print in-house...on custom banner orders for one or two banners I can't compete with the prices they charge doing them in-house. I do know that the two big sign franchises both recommend one of my biggest suppliers. Look into sign franchises, they devote a whole lot more research into production methods than we give them credit for. That research points them toward the profitability of using wholesalers. Sorry

I'm sure the other shops in your area also realize that, "Just because you have a printer, dosen't mean you have the right tools for the job". Don't you think THEY would find your 20 banner analogy to have some merit (should they read this thread....in the non-premium section), and decide to "lowball" you @ $2.50 a sf....or even lower? Where does it stop? I guess if you're making a nickle above wholesale then you are making money...right? I don't care if they read it, if I did I never would have posted it, it wasn't meant as a slam against anyone, just an honest opinion that I believe too many people believe that their Valuejet is the solution to every print need. It's not....just like my HP Deskjet printer is not the solution for printing business cards. All tools have their "profitable" band of production. You own a printer, you might see things differently, do your own math and decide what works for you.

My local established competitors are all good people and we've all been around for 15 years or more. We didn't all last that long by lowballing each other.

How much below your $2.75 are you willing to go, and still have a smile on your face???? Surely one of these other shops would be willing to go $1.50.....don't ya think?
Again, they can sell for what they want to and I've seen a quote from one of them for around $1.50. I always at least double what I'm paying for the banners at a minimum,,,and it's got to be a pretty serious order to get to that minimum. I want to know that if disaster happens and I have to pay to reprint a job that I'll at least break even. Again, we're talking orders of over 20 identical banners here, not custom sign work.

Not really sure where all your hostility is coming from, sorry I offended you. If you disagree with how I do things then by all means explain why. Seriously, I'm open to suggestions and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Dice

Anyone shopping for Signs on Craigslist is probably a customer you don't want to have.

CentralSigns

Maybe buddy is from the old country and the shop is a false front. Maybe he is making his money legitimate. You know what I mean. He must be padding the job's with the laundering of his Sicilian drug money. Then profit doesn't matter, does it. :omg2: Now I'm gonna have to hide out and change my name, cause I'm on to him. .:Oops:

andy

. If you have capacity as Pat says to sell your work for half price...Why not do it.
J

If you like scrapping along with your financial butt cheeks skidding on the tarmac then that's your business.

If I have the capacity to sell at half price then I have the capacity to sell at full price and make twice the profit. Chucking away half of my earnings makes NO SENSE to me whatsoever. Not only am I working for half pay I've then got to do the same amount of work all over again BEFORE I get back to decent profitability.... that's assuming I can find twice the number of orders needed to make this work.

Owning a nicely profitable business is ALL that matters... you could have 2 million quid in sales but if your profits amount to 20 grand then I'm going to rightly assume you are a complete and utter pillock.

mark galoob

i browse craigslist every day for hacks like that and flag them as soon as they appear...they keep trying for awhile, but soon relize they aint gonna be on there for long...

mark galoob