• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Canadians have experience hiring immigrants?

Signscorp

Does anyone have experience sponsoring immigrants to come over for sign work here in Canada? I get many applicants from Latin America and Europe, but I don't have a good understanding of how much work it is to sponsor

CanuckSigns

I don;t have any direct experience, but my understanding is you need to preform a "Labour Market Assessment" which basically shows that you have made a effort to recruit Canadians to preform the job and you have not been successful, The government will review and let you know if you are allowed to recruit. If you are allowed you are responsible for them financially, so they can not claim social assistance etc.

With the recent backlash against immigration and the government cutting the number of Visa's it's issuing you may find it difficult to get approval, if you were running a Tim Hortons it might be a different story :)

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That does seem to be my competitions' strategy
How do you know they're illegal? Because they are spanish? 1/2 our crew is Hispanic and everyone of them is an on the books verified W2 employee and getting paid a competitive wage. There are plenty of native born people asking to get paid cash to avoid child support, double dip on disability, have court ordered restitution that they don't want to pay etc etc. Don't paint people with a broad brush just because that's what the rhetoric tells you to do.

Signscorp

How do you know they're illegal? Because they are spanish? 1/2 our crew is Hispanic and everyone of them is an on the books verified W2 employee and getting paid a competitive wage. There are plenty of native born people asking to get paid cash to avoid child support, double dip on disability, have court ordered restitution that they don't want to pay etc etc. Don't paint people with a broad brush just because that's what the rhetoric tells you to do.
Because they tell me they are when they come and interview. It's endemic. Here in Canada it's mostly indians not Mexicans. I feel bad for them, they make significantly less than minimum wage and their employers tend to miss payroll and find reasons not to give them even that.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Because they tell me they are when they come and interview. It's endemic. Here in Canada it's mostly indians not Mexicans. I feel bad for them, they make significantly less than minimum wage and their employers tend to miss payroll and find reasons not to give them even that.
Why would you waste your time interviewing them? It makes no sense. I don't know about Canada but down here most legit people put applicants must be authorized to work in the USA among other things like drug testing and physical fitness requirements.

Signstein

Do you have any customers or know anyone in the tourism industry? Not sure how 'seasonal' things are up in Canada, but down here in Virginia the hotels, theme parks, restaurants, etc. all ramp up with international employees each summer. Maybe some of your customers could help you with info?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Does anyone have experience sponsoring immigrants to come over for sign work here in Canada? I get many applicants from Latin America and Europe, but I don't have a good understanding of how much work it is to sponsor

You could always give these guys a call: https://cdnvisa.com/

They're a customer of ours, I'm pretty sure this is something they do. (Not a plug, just first company that came to mind)

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
That does seem to be my competitions' strategy
I'm in Houston. My whole family is from south Texas, about 2 hours from the border. I have grown up around illegals my whole life. Day laborers are all over the place down here. We've worked with many and they are quite skilled. I'm not sure about how much your competitors pay, but many illegals I know make plenty of money. Ive seen some make cash $100 a day or more. My kids had a friend whos parents are illegal. They bought her a brand new truck for graduation.