• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Colorado 1650 Owners.

Daniel Jolly

We currently run 3x Epson s60 and 1x Epson s80 - we love these machines and have had trouble free use from them for 2-3 years now. But we run a lot through them and in theory, the new printer would pay for itself. Also considering going BIG into the 123" realm instead. I have an opportunity to buy a 3 month used 1650 on warranty for $55k - but some of comments of "not being ready" and "banding" etc...are a little worrisome. I've learned that my guys always complain about new equipment for the first few months, and then later when all the kinks are worked out and we have some time to work with the machine, usually all the advantages we bought the machine for are being used and they end up loving it...so curious how people think about these machines 6-12 months in. We print mostly things like floor graphics, wayfinding, decals, exterior vinyl for exterior signage, vehicle wraps - most of our interior stuff is on the flatbeds.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I know a shop where they have had two 1640 for close to two years now I think. Pretty sure they bought the first 1640 sold around here.
Anyways, they are looking to get rid of the 2nd atm. I don't know the reason and no idea if it has do with the fact that last time I visited both of them were down and 4 canon techs were buzzing around 'em.
But I bet they have printed a lot as well so it can't be that bad if you have the jobs to line up for it to jew up.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I can’t speak for the 1650 (I have the 40) but for all the gripes I had (still have a couple) I’d literally never have made it through the last 6 months without it. For ease of use, not needing babysat and the general IQ of the machine I have no issues.

Also worth noting if you have large runs and set the jobs up properly, it’ll count your copies even if you have to go through 100 rolls.

As far as banding goes I make my own profiles and don’t have any issues - I do run the advanced AAC marks wherever possible though. I run everything on 40m2 an hour and everything runs fine.

We have given ours a battering since the coronavirus came about printing social distancing graphics and had it for just over a year and it still prints great and is super consistent. At one point it was doing 8-10 rolls a day and we never had any issues

Bly

What sort of wallpapers have you run on this machine? Any phototex, dreamscapes or pre-pasted wallpapers? What pass is really needed for an indoor wallpaper quality comparable to HP latex?

Yes we print all those on our 1650 and they are bulletproof with regard to scratch resistance.
We print them in matte mode which is approx 50% slower than gloss so 24 sq metres/hour which is about the same as a 560 at 6 pass.
We haven't really tested other matte modes but I'm sure a lot of jobs can be run faster.
Anything you don't mind gloss or needs lamination runs at 40 sq m hr.
Being able to switch between gloss and matte is a great feature since a lot of jobs don't need lamination.
We do a few packaging mockups and if they spec gloss finish simply print gloss on gloss vinyl or vice versa.

We did experience some banding at the start of prints and occasionally mid print but once a media is calibrated on the machine and an auto nozzle clean is run first thing it usually runs flawlessly.

Media rolls are loaded super easily in about 2 minutes.
The printer calculates the remaining length on a roll without any user input which is nice.
Unlike most other printers it will pause the media to enable you to come back and tape it onto the takeup.