• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

(Any Good?) Canon imagePROGRAF iPF8100, 44"

Tom Printz

Hello,

I work for a helicopter tour company and I do all of our printing in-house. Self-taught, I've done a few van and box truck wraps, signage for our heliport and various other applications. I had been using Color Rip on an old Windows XP computer and a Roland SP300. I know, archaic to say the least.

Recently the Roland has given up the ghost and we are looking to replace it with something wider to help with vehicle wraps, but we don't want to spend a fortune on a replacement. I know that generally "you get what you pay for" but we are seriously considering getting the Canon imagePROGRAF iPF8100, 44" printer.

We are doing due diligence of course and would like to hear any first-hand experience you might have with this printer. You guys do this for a living every day and I've gotten some good advice here in the past so I'll trust your opinions. Does it come with any rip software or do I need to buy it separately? What kind/brand of ink does it use? How is the print quality, etc. Anything you can tell me would be helpful.

We're going to be wrapping two Honda minivans, a box truck and 3 passenger vans. Can this printer handle the workload well? And what size/ brand/ model laminator would you recommend to go with this printer?

Thanks in advance!!

Biker Scout

Great printer... if you are only intending on printing posters and other paper type prints FOR INDOOR USE ONLY.

The ink is aqueous and will not adhere to industry standard vinyl. Yes, there is a vinyl or two that has a special coating that will allow the ink to stick, but the coating is very powdery, and it's a poor quality calendered vinyl. Even if you laminate it, I guarantee you that the vinyl will shrink within 6 months, and the edges will curl. Also, I can't remember which one specifically, but one of the inks will fade so dramatically that your prints will look as if you didn't even include the ink at all. (I think it was Yellow or Cyan that fades super quick outdoors)

You were able to do the things you did because you had a printer that utilized solvent inks. Shop the used market on eBay and you will find plenty of printers that are about the same price as the Canon printer, but are solvent ink compatible.

Tom Printz

Biker Scout,

You are the man! You saved me from making a huge mistake. I've read up on your advice and sure enough, only water based inks. I appreciate the tip. I'm going to look into used printers on Ebay.

Do you have any advice on the Mikami CJV30-100? It's a 40" printer/cutter (as I'm sure you know) but the 2yr warranty is attractive as a reason to spend more. If we get something on Ebay and it breaks we are kind of up the creek and on our own.

So, is Mikami a good brand?

Biker Scout

The main 3 brands are just fine. They basically all use the same formulation of ink and same print heads. (because of the Epson Ink Tax) They each have their own pluses and minuses. But I can tell you from hard earned experience that 40" is waaay too small for the things you are talking about wanting to do. You can do it, but you'll be making more work for yourself.

Minimum should be a 54" printer, (I suggest 64" as the optimal size) and don't get suckered in with the print and cut solutions. Because if you think about it... when you are supposed to be laminating everything you hand to a client or installing. If it's a cut graphic you'd have to remove it from the printer to laminate it, then re-install it back into the printer and hope the registration lines up with the cut lines again. Thus creating a bottle neck in your production having to wait while your "PRINTER" is cutting when it should be "PRINTING".

Mutoh has fine machines if you are on a budget. Roland has ardent followers and plenty of support. Mimaki is for those who are trying to be different than the other two.

Oh, and someone will surely chime in here and say to look at the latest of the HP printers L360, which can be had for less than $19k.

AF

Look for a new L260, they are the best bang for the buck at the close out pricing you can find them for right now. Plus they won't dry out if you leave them idle for extended periods. You will need a new rip if your current one lacks the HP driver.