• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Roland shops using Flexi for RIP?

Signs Express

We've got a VP-540 and have always used VersaWorks. I'm perfectly happy with it, but wondered if anyone uses Flexi instead? We're running Flexi Pro 8.6v2. Any advantages or disadvantages?

BobbyFosson

I love the Flexi product but personally use VW to RIP to my Roland printers.

Some choose to use Flexi but also choose to profile every media themselves.

Flexi seems to have issues with large files and stock profiles are not always the best quality.

I am sure someone else will chime in as well.

I would echo Bobby's comments. The SAi RIP in Flexi and Photoprint is rarely able to deliver optimum image quality without significant configuration, including the creation of custom output profiles for your printer and media configuration.

On the other hand, many, if not most Versaworks users run with canned (Roland-created or media company-created) medias with more success.

Sabre

We use both, and have narrowed down our profiles to be pretty damn close no matter which rip we use. We actually prefer the Flexi (7.62) rip for most of our vehicle graphics. Maybe out of laziness, since we dont have to export.

LittleSnakey

We prefer the flexi 8.6 rip to versa.... but sometimes on real big files Flexi will rip then nothing happens and it says done in the production manager. That is the only time we export to versa to print with our vp-540

mark in tx

I have 3 Rolands,

I use Flexi 8.62, have used it since 7.6.
Works great, does the best job of putting a contour cut onto a file.
Yes, I had it profiled, every major upgrade.

I also use Onyx 7.3, had it profiled as well. I use that for straight printing.

I also use Wasatch for screen separations with the Epson.

Only thing I use Versaworks for is to check the ink levels on 1 machine I have not already converted to Bulk ink.

I have not had any real issues with any RIP that I couldn't solve with a little reading or asking here.