• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any small networking gurus out there?

Graphics2u

I've started to have an issue on my shop network. When I am downloading a large file, it downloads just fine and at highest speeds possible. However while the download is going the computer that is downloading as well as all other devices and computers connected to my network will not have internet connectivity. The LAN still works fine, I just get error messages that there isn't a Internet Connection. It doesn't matter whether they are connected wirelessly or by Ethernet. Then as soon as the download finishes, everything is back to normal.

This seems to be a router issue to me, like it's just not allowing the different requests for internet to be shared. I'm using a D-Link DIR632 router with DD-WRT firmware that is up to date. Could it be a setting? or just the router going bad?

Thanks for your assistance!

ikarasu

It could be a lot of things... My best guess is the router has gone bad. It is a pretty old router, and it only has 10/100 Ethernet... I'm going to venture a guess and say you're internet is as fast/faster than 100M (Not uncommon these days) So when you're downloading it's maxing out the port speed. Usually it'll Balance them and everything will just lag, but it's not uncommon for everything to just freeze up.

How many people in your office? If you're a very small office you can get away with a off the shelf cheap router like the above (A working one, at least). Shouldn't cost too much.

Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging it back in? Keep it unplugged for about 30 seconds, plug it back in... then as soon as you have a connection test and see if it still does it.

Graphics2u

Check out this forum post. Looks like other people have run into this before.

Thanks! I actually read that post a few days ago. Apparently the trouble they were having was with their Wi-Fi adapter settings. My computer is a wired connection and the Sharing settings aren't there to disable.

Graphics2u

It could be a lot of things... My best guess is the router has gone bad. It is a pretty old router, and it only has 10/100 Ethernet... I'm going to venture a guess and say you're internet is as fast/faster than 100M (Not uncommon these days) So when you're downloading it's maxing out the port speed. Usually it'll Balance them and everything will just lag, but it's not uncommon for everything to just freeze up.

How many people in your office? If you're a very small office you can get away with a off the shelf cheap router like the above (A working one, at least). Shouldn't cost too much.

Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging it back in? Keep it unplugged for about 30 seconds, plug it back in... then as soon as you have a connection test and see if it still does it.

I've only got 10Mbps Internet. Tried the unplugging trick with no success. Thanks for the input.

pinkiss

its definitely, router what happens when you start download router dedicates all the speed to that connection thus creating bottleneck within your network for others to use internet, if you dont want to change routers you need to look into software your using for downlaods if its third party it might have settings tab where you can limit max connections and speed for your downloads, it will drop in speed on downloads but will allow others to have access to the net. Thou i would look into router that has load balancing function , in other words you need one up to date to handle multiple connections at once as current one seems can be easily stressed out and basically its telling time for upgrade.