• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any tips on printing to the take up reel for print and cut?

StickerGuy83

So I'm kinda stuck on this whole take-up reel. I'm using it to print multiple jobs at once (print and cut jobs) but no matter the winding direction, it seems that I have to un-roll it off the core and manually roll it onto another core for it to go through the graphtec correctly for print and cut.

Anyone have any tips or tricks? I'm using HP Latex, Graphtec Cutter & Flexi.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Not sure how Flexi works, but we print multiple jobs down the roll with Onyx and once it gets to cutting, we select 180 degree rotation and then cut each job.
If we laminate, no need to do anything, default settings are fine as the roll is forward wound once again.

Snydo

In Production Manager look for a tick box that says "flip cut file" or some such thing and that should do the trick.
You can also just take an empty core and stand it on edge next to your printed roll, tape the tail of your print to the empty tube and then place a thumb in each tube and spin with your thumb and forefingers in the same direction. Anything over half a roll is a real good workout.
You can also just flip your print file 180 degrees and resend on HOLD.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Cant you flip your cut 180 degrees ?? That would solve your problem as well. In Caldera we have the option of 0 degree or 180 degree flip for cutting on our graphtec. Otherwise, what they are mentioning above is to automatically flip your graphic 180 degrees so when you get it on the roll to the cutter, it comes out correct for your workflow.

StickerGuy83

Not sure how Flexi works, but we print multiple jobs down the roll with Onyx and once it gets to cutting, we select 180 degree rotation and then cut each job.
If we laminate, no need to do anything, default settings are fine as the roll is forward wound once again.

I don't see anything in the job properties for the cut where I can flip the cut job 180. I can flip the print job 180 in the RIP, but I will go ahead and assume that its going to flip the cut job 180 with it.

StickerGuy83

In Production Manager look for a tick box that says "flip cut file" or some such thing and that should do the trick.
You can also just take an empty core and stand it on edge next to your printed roll, tape the tail of your print to the empty tube and then place a thumb in each tube and spin with your thumb and forefingers in the same direction. Anything over half a roll is a real good workout.
You can also just flip your print file 180 degrees and resend on HOLD.

Screenshot me that "flip cut file" option lol

StickerGuy83

Cant you flip your cut 180 degrees ?? That would solve your problem as well. In Caldera we have the option of 0 degree or 180 degree flip for cutting on our graphtec. Otherwise, what they are mentioning above is to automatically flip your graphic 180 degrees so when you get it on the roll to the cutter, it comes out correct for your workflow.

If my understanding is correct, if I do that, it will flip the cut properties with it.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I dont know how Flexi works. With Caldera for us, it doesn't matter...we can flip the cut to suit how its on the roll. Im honestly surprised that flexi or whatever doesnt allow you to flip the cut or search for the cut at a 180 degree alternative.