• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody use 3m HIP 100yd rolls?

MimakiGuy

If so, do you know the diameter of the whole roll?
I am trying to figure out if those size rolls will fit on our HP 300 and 800 latex printers.
All I can find from spec sheets is, it pushes the weight limit to the max. Like, I have 1 pound left lol
Any help would be appreciated!

ikarasu

I wouldn't.... We have a hard enough time loading 50 yd rolls. That stuffs crazy heavy.

I can't see a benefit to it, it's the same sqft price through 3m (at least for us) and having to load / unload.... Unless you're printing 600 ft at once. On which case unless you have a beefy laminator... You won't be able to load it on your laminator

Aaron Hunter

I wouldn't.... We have a hard enough time loading 50 yd rolls. That stuffs crazy heavy.

I can't see a benefit to it, it's the same sqft price through 3m (at least for us) and having to load / unload.... Unless you're printing 600 ft at once. On which case unless you have a beefy laminator... You won't be able to load it on your laminator
Also the wear on your spindles and feed rollers from the weight would put them into an early grave

MimakiGuy

Fully agree. Thing is, the 50 yd rolls will be backed up for a few months. That isnt good at all!

MimakiGuy

Do you have any vinyl converters near you? There is a place here that sells by the yard and I could take a 100 yard roll to them and they would split it into 2 50 yard rolls for about 10 bucks.
Not that im aware of.
Something to consider, though. Thanks!

MimakiGuy

We have one, but it wouldnt hold a 100yd roll. It barely fits a 50 yard roll lol
There is a place about 15 minutes away. I might give them a call

ikarasu

Fully agree. Thing is, the 50 yd rolls will be backed up for a few months. That isnt good at all!
100 yds are also a month out aren't they? Unless USA sold out of 50 yd and 100 is all that's left... Hip is a 21 day turn around now instead of the usual 7 days... Still not as bad as 7725. We're still waiting on some deliveries from November...

That said for white, there's 9 48" rolls and 40 24" rolls and 30 30" rolls in Canada right now... We were told once this stocks depleted its a 21 day lead time. I'm sure USA is a little different, but I imagine if you really need it they can bring it in from Canada, we always get stuff shipped.from the us warehouse to us.

Shred_signs

Lost Member
Not sure, yet. Thats what I am trying to figure out.
How do you plan on physically getting them in to your machine? Are you going to have the staffing to rotate the rolls through the machine? Do they physically in the machine? Those rolls are quite thiccc. Are you printing through the whole roll? Can you logistically handle rolls of that size?

I have only used the 100yd rolls a few times, and we ran a two shift operation with about 60 people in our LFC department.
We luckily had a roll lifter and didn't have to pick them up but they were still a bear.

Our solution: Leverage our size and to buy in larger bulk. I know not many can order 3M by the pallet. It was a pretty expensive gem in the warehouse for the month it took us to run it.

Shred_signs

Lost Member
If so, do you know the diameter of the whole roll? My math says it should be roughly 12" in diameter. My numbers were based on memory sooooo..... but that should be close and feels accurate.
I am trying to figure out if those size rolls will fit on our HP 300 and 800 latex printers.
All I can find from spec sheets is, it pushes the weight limit to the max. Like, I have 1 pound left lol
Any help would be appreciated!

ikarasu

A 100 yard roll will fit, but it's going to be really heavy and I wouldn't want to do it!

I'd rather pay a premium and buy it non direct from a.thirdnparty supplier then handle one of those. :roflmao:

Curious what you guys pay for 3m direct - if anyone wants to swap numbers in pm, shoot me a message. We're in Canada so it's different.. just wondering if we get hosed because of our dollar. We're one the "top tier cheapest diamond" discount or whatever they call it. Yet it seems like we can't compete with those who do Avery, they sell below what our cost to make is...

JBurton

Signtologist
I'm betting this came down from the top when the boss found out how much waste is required to start a print? Then figured there would be half as much waste if the roll was twice as long?

Shred_signs

Lost Member
I'm betting this came down from the top when the boss found out how much waste is required to start a print? Then figured there would be half as much waste if the roll was twice as long?
That sounds like ownership logic to me too.

I had a boss ordered a 100yd roll. When it came in I would ask her to help me load it because her health insurance coverage wasn't good enough for me to throw my back out trying to lift a roll that barely fit our machine.
That was the only time she ordered a 100yd roll.