• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone ever change their own print head?

OlsonSigns601

Sorry I haven't been posting much. My shop manager was in the hospital for about a month and I took on the dual roll getting and took on the task of getting the shop put back together.

But anyway, today we started up our VJ1204 and got a message that the print head's life was over. Got through the day printing and everything is still really crisp but I've got the feeling the day is coming.

I feel like someone I know very close and love very much was just diagnosed with a terminal disease and will be dying soon.

So just getting feelers out there if any of you have replaced their own print head and what they thought of it?

I'm pretty technical, I've built my own computers since Windows 95 1st came out and my main job until my wife can get a job to pay the mortgage is a software developer. So I feel I'm pretty technical and mechanically inclined to be up to the task but wondering if this is perhaps a task for someone with months or weeks of specified training.

I've had the printer apart several times for cleaning and managed to get it all back together again and working again.

CanuckSigns

I'm sure you could handle it, but you already said you are taking on dual roles at the shop right now, can you afford to possibly spend 2-3 days doing nothing else but attempting to change the head, realign etc..?

I know it seems like a huge expense to have a tech come out and change it, but when you crunch the numbers and realize that in the time you are saving by having someone who knows what they are doing change the head, you can make enough signs to pay for the tech.

There are enough stresses in this industry, why would you want to add another?

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
You don't actually have to replace your print head. When Mutoh created these printers they tested the print heads, cr motor, pf motor and pump assembly and created a life expectancy for them. Your print head has reached this life expectancy but it doesn't mean that it needs to be replaced or that it will even fail any time soon. Give me a call and I can help you reset the message so it doesn't keep bothering you. I am in the office today because of our Open House. My direct # is 973-808-8600 Ext. 116.