• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone having this problem-GS6000

Dogvan

Whatever is causing the green problem is not likely to be solved by printing a gutter or periodically printing patches of green and orange. The spittoon's purpose is for the machine to squirt ink into on every pass. That's what they say, anyway - that the printer firmware is essentially running a permanent gutter every job without doing it on the medium. That's why the head goes all the way to the right on every pass. I would bet on bad ink, possibly even non-Epson ink being sold as factory. I'll say that anecdotally I don't even look for any deals - I've always paid full price for the inks from a large supplier. The cost of the ink is nothing relative to the cost of my film, and if there's even a remote possibility that it could kill a printhead (out of warranty!) then there is simply no decision to be made.

Donny7833

Yeah, I buy my ink from the Epson authorized company I bought the printer from. Not a fan of 3rd party inks and I don't shop price, I'm more concerned with support, service and having items in stock.

Astro, they must be sending all the good ink down under. :smile:
Your comment on the warranty is right on, If I had extended it, the green would probably still be printing fine.

Got a quote coming in today on replacement, I'll keep you posted. I did re-profile this weekend for 6 color print and don't see much difference between that and the 8 color samples I have, except of course bright greens and oranges, not as much pop, but still nice enough.

Funny that it's been printing so well since the last head replacement, I was getting ready to retire my 2 10600s and get another GS6000. Still want to retire the older water based machines, though maybe I'll get the HP L25500 instead of the Espon.

Makes me miss my HP8000 (Seiko), ran it hard for 2 years, not one single issue.

Dice

We just had our belt replaced as well. The Tech said they are doing a lot of belt replacements and Epson is aware of the problem. They blame it on a faulty parts supplier that they have corrected with the new belts.

So those of you who have 6 month+ old GS6000, prepare for a belt break down! You should call your tech and have them come and replace it before it breaks.

Donny7833

Just got off the phone with Epson support (couldn't wait anymore for an email response), told them the Green channels died and my machine is 2 weeks out of warranty, asked what it would cost to have the head replaced and I was told EPSON WOULD COVER THE COST! Seems there's a known issue with the green ink.

Wow, thought I was on my own with this one. Kudos to Epson for being so stand up with this issue.

parrott

Just got off the phone with Epson support (couldn't wait anymore for an email response), told them the Green channels died and my machine is 2 weeks out of warranty, asked what it would cost to have the head replaced and I was told EPSON WOULD COVER THE COST! Seems there's a known issue with the green ink.

Wow, thought I was on my own with this one. Kudos to Epson for being so stand up with this issue.

When we had our motherboard replaced, all the settings were reset including the ink levels. We didn't notice this until after several days of printing. So we called Epson to ask if the printer would let us know when to change ink cartridges. They told us no, but we are sending you a full new set of inks so change them out when you feel they are low. A full free set! Of course it was not our problem to begin with, but they do not try to nickel and dime you like some companies would. Stand up service.

astro8

Great news...sad thing is that if a company actually stands behind their product, makes good any faults and provides good service we are shocked.

On another point, I wasn't suggesting printing a gutter strip is going to solve any ink issues, rather give forewarning. It's just nice to see all those little solid stripes of ink. I think it's good practice anyway, I've always did this in the past.

Dogvan

Epson did me right too. They swapped my main board and all the ink values went to 100%. The phone jockey was not following me at first. He saw no problem with me purchasing a complete ink set so that when the machine blindly runs out of each one I would have a replacement. I asked if he thought it reasonable that I shell out over a grand up front because their service tech botched the transfer. They offered a swap - new cartridges for my old ones, and he specifically said don't send him old empties off my shelf. More than fair.

Jaime Bergstrom

Our Epson GS6000 is 3 months old and the belt broke. We still can't get the take up motor to take up the material straight. I've been using Mimaki's for the last 7 years and have never had these types of problems.

MachServTech

Extremely frustrating, I really thought we were past this. Since the first head went I regularly print large squares of Green and Orange. Also, I order green as needed so I get fresh ink with good date codes. I stock 2 each of all other colors.

And, since it's been running so well, unfortunately, I decided against the $4,600 2nd year warranty. So, this ones on me.

Maybe I'll just say screw it and re-profile to run with 6 colors and turn off the Green and Orange in Ergo. We'll see how much the quote is for the head.

I predicted this issue earlier in this thread:
http://signs101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=731484&postcount=18

Shops considering the GS6000 should budget for head replacement or purchase the extended warranty.

tgrinds

If the Epson printer is anything like the mutoh, have the tech put a little silicon grease on the belt. It'll help prolong the life of it. At least it does for my mutoh. I had the same squealing sound.

C

ColoPrinthead

Does anyone happen to know where I can source the solenoid Dogvan mentioned? I am having the same issue on one of my GSs and can not find the part. I tried searching what was written on it.

Last edited by a moderator: