• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone Print on White Oracal 631 With Latex

We do cut wall decals with Oracal 631 vinyl. Some of our designs are multi color that we print from different colored rolls and then install in pieces. Wondering if it was possible to print on 631 with our latex and then just contour cut the pieces. Would save a lot of time. Anyone ever try this? Any concerns with the adhesive changing it's stickiness once it is exposed to heat from the printer?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yes we have printed on 631 and other cut vinyls with our L25 and currently with our L26. We haven't noticed any adhesion issues once printed, you definitely want to let it cool down some before cutting though. For some reason 631 gets gummy when warm.

The reason I want to print on the 631 is because we have a lot of customers who reorder stuff from us and when they are putting up their decals I don't want them to see that there is a difference from what they bought before. I think with our Onyx RIP i can match custom spot colors of the 631 cmyk swatches to the solid full color roll.

TomK

Yes we have printed on 631 and other cut vinyls with our L25 and currently with our L26. We haven't noticed any adhesion issues once printed, you definitely want to let it cool down some before cutting though. For some reason 631 gets gummy when warm.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but just found this.

What profile do you use to print on your 631 and what temps?

TomK

We have Onyx 12 and a L260. You can find the ij35 profile in your rip, we use the 3M 180c profile for our base and customize from that.

Thanks, I'll give this a try on 631 through the Hp 310 Latex, wish me luck!

Tom

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've done it a few times on 651 and 751. I try not to too much because the heat warps these vinyls pretty bad (mostly because of the thin liner).

TomK

I've done it a few times on 651 and 751. I try not to too much because the heat warps these vinyls pretty bad (mostly because of the thin liner).

Before I printed I wanted to test the 631 on planner paper. It sticks, but it doesn't come off without taking the planner paper with it, so back to the start on my search here.

Tom

newparade

I just tested with my HP365. Perhaps it was just my particular roll of 631, but I found it unacceptably grainy, although it was greatly improved with a heavy ink load.

jimmmi

I just tested with my HP365. Perhaps it was just my particular roll of 631, but I found it unacceptably grainy, although it was greatly improved with a heavy ink load.
Probably the usual plasticizer issue. Try another roll or wipe it with IPA and reprint a sample

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's normal that non print material doesn't have the best surface quality for printing with latex. Might get the same result even if you switch rolls.