• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone put grommets in Acrylic signs?

Brian Campbell

We have a request to make a clock like sign with a spinning disk. Kind of like those "We will return at this time" signs you see on business doors. Want a sign printed on 1/8" acrylic with a poly of acrylic dial.

My issue is how to attach the two so it will spin. Need to put a small grommet or something like in the center. Has anyone done grommets in acrylic? Can it be done without cracking the acrylic? What tools are you using?

This will be several hundred pieces, with more orders to come so worth a small investment in tools to make it happen

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 226

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
If you pre-drill the hole on a router or such....should be alright I would think. Just make sure the press doesn't go all the way through its motion. Enough to lock the grommet on and call it a day. Maybe PLASTIC grommets that you can press together with your hand??

Steenland

Old Member
The problem with using a bolt is that the nut on the back will keep the sign from hanging flat.

How fancy and durable do they need to be? How about using simple brass paper fasteners such as these:
www.amazon.com/ACCO-Brass-Fasteners-Plated-A7071712CS/dp/B07D12M3QN/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=brass+paper+fastener&qid=1610210480&sr=8-16
Make sure to get ones with longer prongs; a lot of them have only half-inch prongs, which wouldn't be long enough for your application.

You should be able to drill several acrylic pieces at once by clamping them together. Drill press would work best. If your supplier is cutting the acrylic to size, they may also be able to drill the holes for you.

Attachments

• Brass paper fasteners.jpg
    Brass paper fasteners.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 162

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
I would consider a Post Screw (also called Binder or Chicago Screw).
a drop of Thread Lock will keep the two together.
I have used Rivets Online several times with great service.
[no tools required - other than a drill press to drill the required holes].
Please post some photos of your prototype when you get your project started.

post screw.jpg

Last edited:

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
I was thinking it would be a two sided sign:
one side would say OPEN - Please come in
and of course the other side would have the clock.
this is where the Post Screw would work best as both sides of the connector would be almost flush flat.
I use them quite often in different lengths for leather projects.