• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone running Flexi on Vista?

EnergyDesign

I am trying to setup a rip-only station, and the fastest computer we have has vista os. Anyone setup with vista?

Arstron

I just finished installing and updating flexi on my new laptop (with vista premium 64-bit). So far so good, I have opened and print/cut a test file so it looks like I am good to go. It wasy very painless and didnt give me any problems at all. I am running flexi 8.1v1 with the updated hasp driver (hasp driver had to be updated). I actually had less trouble with vista then I did on my xp machine, I wasnt able to update to 8.1v1 on my xp system for some reason.

MM Designs

We're running Flexi 8.5 on Vista, but this is the only version of Flexi that we've been able to get to work on Vista.

Arstron

The one thing on vista (this goes for most programs), when installing you need to right click on the actual setup file and run it as administrator. If you dont do this, it will not install propperly 90% of the time. What problems did you have with vista?

SignBurst PCs

The one thing on vista (this goes for most programs), when installing you need to right click on the actual setup file and run it as administrator. If you dont do this, it will not install propperly 90% of the time. What problems did you have with vista?

That's interesting. I almost NEVER have to "run as admin" unless it is older software.

As far as I know, 8.5 is the only Flexi version that is supported on Vista. Others may work, but good luck getting support.

Matthew Scher

Flexi 8.5 installs and runs on vista (32 or 64 bit) with no problem. Vista handles security and temp files differently than XP, so it takes a lot of tweaking to get previous releases to work.

I did manage to get 8.1 to run on Vista, but there are some limitations - menus will show wrong font for dimmed items (minor, but annoying) and there may be output issues.

Sign Magic

Your question was about using Flexi on a Windows Vista machine.
I have Flexi 8.5 running on a Vista machine. I originally had some issues with Flexi 8.5 and Vista with my Mutoh Valuejet printer when I wanted to run decals using step and repeat. The printer would stop printing part way through the print run. I also had some issues with cutting registration.

SAI support suggested I upgrade the firmware in the Valuejet printer to version 1.8. Mutoh's FTP site did not have that file on their site. I called Mutoh and they added the file to the site. I downloaded the file and upgraded the printer to firmware 1.8. My printer would no longer recognize my ink cartridges (genuine Mutohs). Another call to Muton and new smart cards were sent to me to stick on the ink cartridges. That was about 2 months ago. Everything is working fine now.

Please keep in mind you may have some issues with drivers, firmware, and other software when switching to Vista.

Vista has a bad reputation right now with many people prefering to stay with Windows XP. Also Microsoft support of Windows XP was scheduled to end June 30, 2008. However, I think Microsoft has changed their Minds and now has extended the product life of Windows XP.

Windows Vista is actually a very good operating system. It is very stable once you get all the newest drivers installed and are using the latest versions of your application software. I have not had nearly as many shutdown errors and reboots using Vista as I did when I was using XP.

If I remember right there was the same resistance to change when Microsoft switched from Windows 98 to Windows XP. It took about a year for all of the applications and drivers to catch up to Windows XP.

choucove

There are a lot of hostilities about changing to Vista for many reasons, but the biggest reasons it seems is issues with support for older or rarer software and hardware (including printers and other peripherals,) and changed settings and features. The core of Vista itself may be a good foundation for Microsoft to work from, but unfortunately the user shell needs more work still. They tried to mimic some of other OS options and features from Mac and Linux, such as the Aero visual themes, and User Authentication Control. With some more tweaking and changing to make these a little more friendly, they may have less resistance.

The biggest problem is that many of the people who really like Windows XP were upset with some of these semi-Mac type features that Microsoft used in Vista that seem uneccessary, buggy, or just plain stupid. Many are just going to wait it out until Windows 7 is (supposedly) released in a couple years. Unfortunately, from most of what I have seen and heard, Windows 7 will be little more than Window Vista with a few different features and support for multitouch interface. If this is so, then it will be a huge disappointment for the majority of Microsoft's customer base which is already mostly disappointed with Windows Vista and having a long difficult time transferring over. Still, that's all up for debate until Windows 7 is actually released.