• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone Using 27" Monitors?

DerbyCitySignGuy

I use a 27" 1920x1080 and a 22" 1920x1080.

The difference that extra five inches makes is pretty significant. You'd be surprised.

I'm not sure that a 4k monitor is really necessary for design stuff, but if you go 4k make sure your GPU supports 4k at 60Hz.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I think if I buy a 27" monitor I would go with a taller screen than 1080. I think the 2560 x 1440 is better than the 1920 x 1080. True?
You have to have a GPU that will support that. But like mentioned, same proportions....and you're likely to not need the bump up in resolution for sign programs or the like.

untitled

Using a 30" 2560x1600 and a 24" 1920x1080. Went from dual 24" up to the 30" and it was well worth it having that amount of screen space. Even if you go with the 27" still get a second monitor. Makes working on things so much easier when you have to reference something else at the same time.

player

Using a 30" 2560x1600 and a 24" 1920x1080. Went from dual 24" up to the 30" and it was well worth it having that amount of screen space. Even if you go with the 27" still get a second monitor. Makes working on things so much easier when you have to reference something else at the same time.
I always use 2 monitors... I currently have 2 24" monitors.

Logoadv

In the office I use a Dell 34" 3440x1440.
At home I use a Samsung 40" 4K TV
The trick to getting a proper 'monitor' out of a TV is to make sure it is 4:4:4 Chroma for clear text and HDMI 2.0 input for less lag.
Here is a link to rtings that explains exactly why, but essentially a good 4:4:4 chroma TV will look just like a large purpose built computer monitor. Many do not even have TV tuners anymore.

Chroma Subsampling: 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0

This site will also tell you which TVs have it and rates them based on how well they will work as a monitor.

DropZoneSpec

27" Cintiq that I run my Win 7 and Win 8.1 VMs and do all my designing (mainly Ai CS6) and digitizing work (Wilcom) in.

Icons can be on the smaller size using the full resolution if it hasn't been optimized for the higher resolution monitors. Not too much of a big deal, but it may require some getting used to.
What is that tablet? I think I NEED!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

WildWestDesigns

What is that tablet? I think I NEED!

The far right monitor is a Wacom Cintiq 27QHD. That particular one is touchscreen as well. Since one of my VMs that I run on it is Win 8.1, I thought it would be worth getting the touchscreen as well.

I like their Cintiq line of products. Since I started using their stuff, I've been able to do all my sketching digitally versus having to sketch on paper, scan (or take a picture) and load it in the software. It's probably the best thing out there to bridge the gap between digital and traditional (versus using a mouse or having the disconnect of a traditional tablet of looking at up at a screen, but drawing elsewhere), at least from a sketcher's perspective.

SamK

A little late to this thread but to anyone else shopping for a monitor get an IPS panel for more accurate color reproduction and gamut out of the box. The quality of the wire matters too. I have a friend using 2 - 27" monitors but using different brand HDMI wires. Side by side we can tell one is just slightly less sharp and less vibrant than the other. Not saying you need to buy expensive cables, just don't ebay the cheapest ones either.

player

A little late to this thread but to anyone else shopping for a monitor get an IPS panel for more accurate color reproduction and gamut out of the box. The quality of the wire matters too. I have a friend using 2 - 27" monitors but using different brand HDMI wires. Side by side we can tell one is just slightly less sharp and less vibrant than the other. Not saying you need to buy expensive cables, just don't ebay the cheapest ones either.
I wound up getting the good 27" Dell monitors as off lease monitors for under $200 each. I bought 2 for myself, one for my parents and a spare.

JimmyG

I'm running new 27" samsung with my older 24 beside it. Thinking on moving up a step in size soon. I got used to the size difference very quickly and now want MORE work area.

WildWestDesigns

Wow, I forgot about this post. Some things have changed since the passing of almost a year.

Replaced my 22"s for 2 27" ViewSonics. Cintiq is still there (that's not going anywhere any time soon, despite it being the only one that isn't HiDPI, although the new ones fixin to be released are). Originally ran Gnome as the main DE, but switched to KDE and those displays definitely look better with that DE then dull Gnome.

Attachments

• New Office Monitors.jpg
    New Office Monitors.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 309

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We have a 30" NEC PA301W at each design station. These are professional grade monitors with 2560x1600 IPS panels that we color calibrate with our i1 Pro. :)

The major plug with a professional graphics monitor like the NEC, Eizio, some of the Dell ones, etc are far more precise color, usually also a wide gamut capable of close to full Adobe RGB.

Your printer is capable of some colors that most TV's and computer monitors are not capable of displaying. Default on computer monitors and images for the most part is sRGB profile which is terribly limited in gamut.

Last edited:

KMC

Graphic Artist
i use 2x 27" and i love it way more space for design purposes, and even better for doing quotes as i can see everything and not have to minimize a window or keep flipping back

rjssigns

Single 27" IPS display. Works for now. I like it for schoolwork since I can have two papers open side by side.
55" 4K in the office is great for seeing the RIP window from across the room.