• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone work with Astek Wallcoverings?

UberDapr

Currently doing a wallpaper install for a restaurant, The designer decided to go with Astek and chose wallpaper instead of a peel and stick vinyl. (Really disappointed in taking this job already)
Well to my surprise, None of the panel's edges were cut. For example, I have panels where the image has a width of 30 inches. I still have 15" of negative (white)space on either side. This is causing me to cut them all myself in order to line up. Is this something anyone else has experienced or is this just the norm for some shops? Everywhere I have worked for or received from, has taken this off no matter who was installing.

victor bogdanov

I remember watching a "how to" video from dreamscapes I think and in the video they used wallpaper that was not trimmed just like you describe, the video was very old. I'm guessing before flatbed trimming was more common. The trimmed with knife and straight edge before application.

Print shop being lazy by not trimming imo. Wallpaper, unpasted and peel and stick is my main product I print and I would never send it out untrimmed

victor bogdanov

From astek website:

What does untrimmed mean?​

• Untrimmed means that the excess paper on the edges of the product will have to be trimmed off by hand before the product is hung. This is typically a precise process and will require a steady hand to do so. When certain products are manufactured, the print/pattern will not bleed off the paper like most wallpapers. All flocked, screen printed and digitally printed patterns will come untrimmed so please be aware when you place your order. All flocked and screen printed patterns are hand made therefore natural variations in the product will occur which is why trimming is needed.

That's crazy that they would sell untrimmed wallpaper. Much easier to do on a flatbed or even a keencut at a shop vs at the install site.

0 reason not to trim after printing other than to save $$$$

UberDapr

From astek website:

• Untrimmed means that the excess paper on the edges of the product will have to be trimmed off by hand before the product is hung. This is typically a precise process and will require a steady hand to do so. When certain products are manufactured, the print/pattern will not bleed off the paper like most wallpapers. All flocked, screen printed and digitally printed patterns will come untrimmed so please be aware when you place your order. All flocked and screen printed patterns are hand made therefore natural variations in the product will occur which is why trimming is needed.

That's crazy that they would sell untrimmed wallpaper. Much easier to do on a flatbed or even a keencut at a shop vs at the install site.

My thoughts exactly! Nothing will come out of my shop untrimmed, it just shows a lack of effort.
And honestly I have no problem trimming, I do it daily sometimes. It is when the client and hiring contractor don't tell me this prior. Now Im on site having to do twice the work, and dealing with wall measurements not taken by me. :doh:
Living the dream on this one.

UberDapr

From astek website:

And thanks for the research. Guess I could have taken 10mins myself. ha

pro-up

I hope you are charging for the extra time you are putting into the project. It sounds like a lot of extra work and no consideration given to the installation of the final product. I would also be cautious of the cuts, since a mistake would be one they would lay at your feet. They most likely went with the material for a design / aesthetic reason, such as the material and print best display the desired graphics with a sharper contrast or some other similar reason. The material is undoubtedly more expensive as well. Good luck, I hope your project ends well.