• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

App tape on wrap graphics?

K Chez

I have a repair project for a body shop to just install a couple of supplied full size wrap panels. When the customer dropped off the vehicle & the graphics, the first thing I notice is they are all app taped. Usually I wouldn't set up jobs I do in house this way, so I'm wondering how many (if any) headaches can I expect? The existing install (not done by me) is tented all over the place - I would think that app taping a full wrap would cause a bunch of conformity issues, no? Or am I just overthinking it?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a repair project for a body shop to just install a couple of supplied full size wrap panels. When the customer dropped off the vehicle & the graphics, the first thing I notice is they are all app taped. Usually I wouldn't set up jobs I do in house this way, so I'm wondering how many (if any) headaches can I expect? The existing install (not done by me) is tented all over the place - I would think that app taping a full wrap would cause a bunch of conformity issues, no? Or am I just overthinking it?

That makes absolutely no sense. I would have them reprint it without app tape. Besides the fact that you won't be able to see what you're doing, the app tape won't allow you to conform the material... Horrible idea on a full panel.

DoubleDiamond

We were also surprised by this, but it was for a large semi trailer. We contacted the BIG print company and they informed us it was liquid laminated that is sprayed on. This was supposed to make it a quicker install. The hardest and longest part was removing the tape after install... should have been light tac. We had to soak it with warm water and still work it around the rivets. Regular lam would have been better but guys who do massive amounts of fleets do prefer the liquid lam w/tape. Not us regular folks though.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The liquid lam process is cheaper. We don't do it here and have no interest in it, but we do install some that are supplied this way. It is also a bear to remove compared to regular vinyl/lam combos.

OhioSigns

I installed a couple wraps on beverage trailers that were made the same way. It was IJ180 with liquid overlaminate and app tape. Guess it's a whole lot cheaper for those big print houses to do it that way than just to do a film overlaminate with no app tape. Install wasn't too bad but I didn't have too many rivets to work with..... just a bunch of door slats and protruding post between the doors.

K Chez

Thanks for the input, guys! Seemed to make no sense to me-didn't realize it was a common occurrence. Upon calling the supplier about another issue, I questioned this and was told "That's how the company these are for requested they be done". Guess I'll have to them them how to do their job if I ever use them! Nothing like trying to save a few dollars on material at the cost of increasing the labor.

OhioSigns

Thanks for the input, guys! Seemed to make no sense to me-didn't realize it was a common occurrence. Upon calling the supplier about another issue, I questioned this and was told "That's how the company these are for requested they be done". Guess I'll have to them them how to do their job if I ever use them! Nothing like trying to save a few dollars on material at the cost of increasing the labor.

Especially the additional cost of labor when it comes time to remove them. We had areas that needed removed after trimming that were just lightly tacked down and the vinyl just wanted to chip away in small pieces like reflective.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I wrapped a bunch of vans for Safety Kleen, and they provided the wraps. ALL of them like this. You just have to lay as much flat parts as you can, then when you get to a curve, peel off the tape to expose the vinyl. The nice thing with these was that they had them all cut to shape of doors, panels, etc, with handles and trim and lights all cut out already. Made them fairly simple, minus the curved parts where you had to peel the tape.