• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

are you solvent printing with an FJ or a CJ?

D

DARLAK

I'm interested to know who is solvent printing with either an FJ or CJ printer. I'm looking for people using the older machine, the ones with the Epson 3000 head, not the Epson 10000 head.

mediaman

Converting an FJ or CJ to solvent is like trying to make a '99 Camry into a Hybrid. Yes, Camrys can be Hybrids but only 2007 and 2008s. Yes, Rolands can print solvent ink, but only SC-500s and newer. I think to convert an FJ/CJ to solvent is throwing good money away that could be better used for the down payment on a new printer. YMMV.
BTW, I love FJ/CJs for what they do best, which is everything short of vehicle graphics. Some of the FJs are the best Giclee printers ever made. It's just that Epsons are now kicking their asses on price.

ChicagoGraphics

mediaman,
They have a new film out just for the CJ-500s using pigment inksets for doing full wraps. They claim it will go over rivets and contour curves without a problem.

ChicagoGraphics

Darlak, Are your Rolands set-up for eco-solve inks, am curious I have one camjet left and was wondering if it's worth converting over.

D

DARLAK

Darlak, Are your Rolands set-up for eco-solve inks, am curious I have one camjet left and was wondering if it's worth converting over.

two of the three i have are set up for eco-printing, the third is going to be set up to do true solvent as soon as i get time.

Converting an FJ or CJ to solvent is like trying to make a '99 Camry into a Hybrid. Yes, Camrys can be Hybrids but only 2007 and 2008s

i don't know about that mediaman, i have converted two already for under $600 each. the last printer i converted i bought on ebay for $1200 and converted it to solvent for less than $600... is it the latest and greatest? - no, does it print money - YES!

reason for this thread is to find anybody out there still using these old dino's and seeing how there doing with them.

Bill43mx

Darlak,
I'd be interested in any information you'd like to share regarding the conversion to ecosolvent process. Is there a kit available or did you source everything yourself? Thanks!

D

DARLAK

I know they do have kits for the conversion, but lat time I heard they cost around 4500.00
How can you do it for 600

i took my original FJ-52 converted printer apart and figured out how it was done, then made one myself. I sold the original printer and the guy who bought it has taken it a step further and found an even easier way to get it converted and he has converted two himself.

if you are a mcgyver type person it is pretty easy to do, basically you need to add a heat element to the inside front and back under the metal covers with a heat controller. clean out the old lines and reuse, there is no need for new lines.

mediaman

I stand corrected. I love this Forum - it's such a great source of knowledge.
Darlak,
I guess all your sacrificing is speed, but for that cost, your doing very well.

Aardy54@54-Design

Can the cj70 print on regular vinyl like oracal 751 & still be quality print? If so what ink would you use the dye or pigment or spend the $600 approx to convert as mentioned above for solvent? Would lamination still be necessary?
A sign guy semi-local that we work jointly on some projects, has opportunity to buy one from an IN sign shop going under, he asked me since he knew I was looking into the printing aspect of things.

The printing side of the sign business has me puzzled yet very intrigued and interested in learning as much as possible :)
TIA for any thoughts.

slimlin

Hi there

Just wanted to tell you about my experiences, I had a Roland CJ-500 converted to ECO-SOL MAX inks in the past, sold it, felt bad that i did, and just bought another one here on 101 for only 1500$, and i am currently waiting for it to being transported to me. Talked with the seller, and i am VERY sure that i have done a VERY GOOD bargain on this one. Very nice seller.

WHY a CJ-500 you ask??????

Its an old MotherF.....

Yes, it is, but its VERY cheap, you can find a lot of these machines for 4000$ or less, any price above is overpricing and all other words you can attach, or the seller hopes to find the right idiot.

It prints very SLOW compared to other and newer models

Yes, it does, But it prints at the same or almost the same resolution, as the newer or newest Rolands on the market today, So if you print volume isnt that high, and you can live with slower printspeeds, and still get perfect photorealistic results, this is the machine for you.

Spareparts?

Still available, upgradekits to eco-sol max can be bought on EBAY for around 600 $ and then you have an ECO-SOLVENT machine that can do the same trick as a newer machine, but for a fraction of the cost.

Reliabilty?

Sturdy workhorse built like a tank to last, all metal body, and you dont need to keep an eye on it as it autocleans itself.

Print and cut

Yes, an it cuts fast in my eyes, and the print is excellent.

Why should i buy a more expensive printer then???

If you need a faster printer, because of print or customer volumes.

If you want a printer with slightly improved and better handling software.

If you want to buy a printer that is still officialy supported from Roland tech service, and you cant live without that it HAS to be Roland itself servicing your printer.

If you want to have the newest and best from the beginning.

So if you ask me, this is the best place to start, if you want a good machine for the beginner, that wont cost you an arm and a leg. I am sure other people have other arguments, but nobody can argue against the price and quality on this one. Dont think about buying an older machine, because they have too poor performance and specs.

Hope this is usefull, and have a great day