• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arlon/Mactac Frosted Printed window films

Artworks

Artworks
On the specs it says to NOT wet apply these films. HOWEVER, I have always wet applied the Mactac BeFree line with no problems or issues. Specifically, on larger windows. I have read that they have improved the technology so that it even easier to apply these dry now. 5 years ago, it was nearly impossible to apply these on larger windows without applying wet. Has anyone tried to apply these dry recently? How was it?

CanuckSigns

If you are going to apply wet anyway, why spend the extra money on the air release media? I've only used the mactac air release frosted vinyl once and I wasn't impressed, the air channels were clearly visible through the glass for months after install, plus you could see pressure marks from the squeegee in the air release channels.

Just get standard etchmark and apply with rapid tac.

Artworks

Artworks
If you are going to apply wet anyway, why spend the extra money on the air release media? I've only used the mactac air release frosted vinyl once and I wasn't impressed, the air channels were clearly visible through the glass for months after install, plus you could see pressure marks from the squeegee in the air release channels.

Just get standard etchmark and apply with rapid tac.
I use and install all types of vinyl. In the case of this media, it is printable and the other standard etch vinyl is not.

MikePro

i would guess that if you tried, the water/soap will soften the adhesive and get streaky or simply remain within the egress channels and never stick.

I'm always a fan of thinking outside of the box, but when they specifically say to not wet apply, then its most likely because someone previously threw a fit when they attempted.

Asuma01

Liquid gets trapped in the air channels. And looks like junk.
Have you ever tried using ASLAN Etched glass? 2212-1155.
Looks great and is easy to apply without application fluid.

johnnysigns

We've put up the mactac bubble free stuff wet plenty of times too. It can be really finnicky to hang large panels dry with that stuff. It's honestly one of the cheapest frosted vinyls I've used and it does print quite well.