• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ARLON SLX®/SLX+ CAST WRAP VINYL WITH FLITE TECHNOLOGY (Vinyl Failing)

FT Dude

Hello all,

I don't wrap often, but have a question. We just completed a wrap job with Arlon's SLX cast wrap vinyl (light contact). Typically we would use Arlon's 3220 laminate, but were recommended to try IOraguard's 290 due to product availability. The vinyl was starting to peel from the backing right after being cut and weeded. Needless to say the vinyl started to fail on the vehicle after 2 weeks from installation. I live in Wisconsin where we experience cold temperatures. Could this be the reason for this specific vinyl to fail? Or could the laminate have an adverse affect that would create the vinyl to curl? Any advice, recommendations, and trouble shooting would be much appreciated.

Thanks you for your time in advance!

marsuni

Unitype-GR
Dear Friend,
We use SLX since it was produced!
It' s the best wrapping printable cast vinyl in the market, needing half the installation time, even than Avery 1105.
We install in Greece with mixed weather.
We use only 3220 lamination with no problem.
After wrapping we keep the vehicle 24-48 hours in the factory due the vinyl glue to be polymerized.
Keep all this information in mind!!!

Retro Graphics

Hello all,

I don't wrap often, but have a question. We just completed a wrap job with Arlon's SLX cast wrap vinyl (light contact). Typically we would use Arlon's 3220 laminate, but were recommended to try IOraguard's 290 due to product availability. The vinyl was starting to peel from the backing right after being cut and weeded. Needless to say the vinyl started to fail on the vehicle after 2 weeks from installation. I live in Wisconsin where we experience cold temperatures. Could this be the reason for this specific vinyl to fail? Or could the laminate have an adverse affect that would create the vinyl to curl? Any advice, recommendations, and trouble shooting would be much appreciated.

did you post heat to 220 F? that is the correct post heat temperature for Arlon SLX. I just finished a wrap using Arlon SLX but had to use Brightline Optically Clear lam b/c my vendors were out of almost everything else. We will see, but the laminate won't affect the adhesion of the vinyl, only how well it adheres to the vinyl itself.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
For anything cut, I would use SLX+, the adhesive seems to have more initial tack. I didn't really like the regular SLX, it was not tacky enough but maybe it's in my head. The laminate shouldn't matter, we use 8518 on it.

Dan360

I've tried using SLX for a cut job once, didn't like it. Then looked to see what their specs were for cutting it and couldn't find any mention of it. SLX+ they recommend letters at least 2" high.

So I just don't think it's specced for cut graphics unless they are large.

2B

we have mixed lams on SLX, knock on wood, all is still good after numerous years.

how was the tension on the laminator? we have seen if there is too much tension on lamination it can curl

madone

Hello all,

Did you post heat it, wipe vehicle with alcohol?I’ve done a lot of print cut lam with SLX with zero issues.

signheremd

Warning bells went off as soon as I read that the vinyl was peeling away from the backer after being cut and weeded. Something was wrong at that point.

We use Alron SLX all the time to wrap vehicles and for large logos - never for cut letters. Last year we used it with Oraguard 290 with no negative effects (keep in mind 290 is really a better laminate than the Arlon 3220, ad is the proper laminate for Oracal 3951 Rapid Air and 3951 Rapid Air ProSlide - Oracal wrap vinyls). You must post form heat the Arlon, and it cannot be subjected to winter temperatures for the first 24 hours if you want a permanent bond - in all cases the manufacturer recommends overnight dwell time. And the vehicle should be cleaned with alcohol before application.

Here is what Arlon recommends on the information sheet:

Post-heat before trimming Always follow the specified temperatures: • Add 25°F (+15°C) to the ambient temperature when heating flat surfaces • 200°F and 220°F (95°C and 105°C) for edges, seams, and other stretched areas Post-heating is a time consuming yet vital step of the wrap process. Work in small sections and reapply pressure. Post-heating softens the adhesive to increase flow; expose trapped air and unapplied areas; anticipate the hottest temperature in can be exposed; and relieve some stresses in the film.

When post heating with high temperatures, do not just heat the film without reapplying pressure. Reapplying pressure ensures maximum adhesive contact by increasing the adhesive flow and closing air egress channels.

Overnight dwell time If possible, let the vehicle dwell overnight in the shop prior to delivery to customer. Letting the vehicle dwell in the shop allows the adhesive to build before being exposed to the elements. In case of a missed area or edges were improperly installed, it can be easily fixed without being contaminated by outside elements.

econolinesigns

SLX isn't meant to be used as a Print/Cut material. We learned that after using it when it was new for print cut and the jobs failed. That's why they introduced SLX+ which can be print /cut.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
It sounds like too much brake pressure applied to laminate on laminator.
You stretch out the laminate, especially 2 mil cast, apply to non stretched print and it will just want to curl up.