• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artwork short by 2inches

Chairman44

My mimaki swj320 when used to print long jobs it short by 2inches but the work load is always to size.
For instance when printing 192inches it print 190inches.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
YES...this. I was noticing my really long prints were a tad short....I ran the Output Size Compensation, turns out it was printing .0625" inches shorter per ft. than it should have been. Run a 20' banner like that and you lose 1.25" !!

WalkerP

I'd like to know how common this is on other printers/RIPs. I've seen it before on Rolands too. I can't recall if I ever got a solid answer from the manufacturer or the SW company.
I have to guess the longer the print, the more margin for error and if each print pass is just soooo slightly off it just adds up to in inch or 2 over the long haul. If each pass (media comp) is off by ever so slightly, even invisible to the naked eye, it accumulates over super long prints. I'm assuming the opposite happens too and prints are too long b/c of this.
I worked for a large textile company and we had to hourly calibrate the fabric cutters for pillow cases. If a pillow case was supposed to be 30" and it cut it at 30.1", that adds up to a ton of waste when you're making 25,000 per day per machine.