• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attempting My First Color Change Wrap Today...

skylinegraphics

Well, I've mostly worked with cut vinyl, and today is the day. I'm going to wrap my Honda Civic today using 3M wrap film 1080 series, I'll post pictures when I'm done any last minute tips?

4R Graphics

Take your time pay attention to how the vinyl bunches and pleates this will tell you alot about what you should have done and what you need to do to fix the problem.

Oh and DO NOT OVER STRETCH THE MATERIAL. If you are heating it up and stretching it around corners and curves YOUR DOING IT WRONG and it will fail early on you.

Other than that be patient its very different than applying regular cut vinyl graphics.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you haven't already done so review the videos here:
http://sdgmag.com/articles/vinyl-graphic-wraps

Do it in a warm location so you can use your sweat as a slip agent on the outside of the material. Try to keep the body parts that touch the adhesive part dry.
Get an extra set of hands to help with the initial setting of the bumper pieces.
If you run into trouble with a piece that will not go down the way you want it to, leave it up and walk away from that spot for a while - do another part or take a break.
Seems that if you let 1080 rest for a while after beating it up it will relax and be more inclined to behave. Or could be with a break your frustration level will drop you will be able to handle it better.

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

skylinegraphics

Well Fellas, Here is my first actual "Full" car wrap. I'm pleased with the turnout! I took my time, was patient and had a buddy hold the heat gun and help peel off the backing paper... Personally at 19 y/o I think I have a lot of room to go but am anxious to explore more to the wrap world and eventually offer them at my shop! Attached are the pictures I took now that I think about it I did not get a rear shot and I'm actually proud of the rear bumper and the license plate bracket. I'll add one of those when the sun comes up.

Attachments

• image_8.jpeg
    image_8.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image_6.jpeg
    image_6.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 118

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
From the photos it looks pretty good.
I think you may have used too much squeegee pressure on the passenger side...

wayne k
guam usa

skylinegraphics

From the photos it looks pretty good.
I think you may have used too much squeegee pressure on the passenger side...

wayne k
guam usa

You mean the dent? Or me actually applying the vinyl with to much pressure? The dent came form my high school days....

mbarden

I would have gone to a local junk yard and gotten a replacement door fiirst. You finished product will look only as good as your canvas. Very difficult to turn a sows ear into a silk purse. But,....... That being said im sure your got some great experience wrapping your car.
MB

skylinegraphics

doesn't look bad, how did you do the hood and the corners of the panels?

The hood I had propped open with a 4x4, so I could open and close it with no problems if needed, witch it was. than I treated the nozzles on top like rivets almost then cut tem out.
The corners I wrapped them around the edge, and heated them up.

DesireeM

Looks good from far....wrap quality is impossible to judge without close-ups. No one ever provides close-ups.