• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Auto clear coat over chrome vinyl?

68dodgeramman

I have a guy that just had his motorcycle tank repainted and clear coated and he wants chrome graphics applied, and then he wants it clear coated again by the body shop. I just want to make sure the Oracal 351 chrome polyester won't react, by crinkling or discoloring etc when it's covered with automotive clear coat. Thanks

dwt

I would spray out a test panel mounted on a metal substrait painted in the same color as the tank.

Are you worried about the chrome failing? I'm in Florida and that stuff wont last more than a year in the southern sun. Starts turning white and wont come off with out a fight.

wes70

As dwt stated, try a test panel. I have cleared over Oracal 651 and 751 with Dupont's Nason series clear with great results.

JasperST

Yes, you could but that doesn't mean that you should. It's a 2 year film. I'd explain that to the customer and tell him not to clear over it if he wanted to proceed.

http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=178
This thin (1 mil) polyester film is ideal for the decoration of transparent substrates, applications including decorative labels, name and technical plates, decoration and moldings, safety stickers, as well as cut letters and symbols. 2-year outdoor durability* Available in chrome, matte chrome and two-sided gold finishes.
* two-sided gold finish features 1-year outdoor durability

without a doubt with this one you need to do a test. i've seen various films react completely unexpectedly when hit with certain clear cotes...chrome poly i would expect to behave even more unpredictably and because of the type of project this is a little bit of research could save you from disasterous results.

JasperST

Testing is always good. But I do know that it holds up to PPG and Transtar clears, don't know about DuPont. I've done many chrome pieces over the years for a custom painter, but these are on helmets with limited exposure to the sun. Plus, we're in the PNW. :smile:

artsnletters

it's a bad idea....you could have all sorts of issues (but not limited to): Adhesion problems, chrome not laying flat on compound curves, having to lay a lot of clear on to bury it, any small imperfections or bubbles showing in the highly reflective chrome, and last but not least....it MAY look really cheezy.
Tim

wes70

A lot of motorcycles have factory cleared vinyl decals... not sure what kind of vinyl they use.

yes they do Wes...we even have a few members of this site who are employees of an american motorcycle manufacturing companies graphic department (and a few members of american motorcycle manufacturing companies that are no longer in business).

it isn't vinyl underneath clear that worries me as it is pretty much an industry standard anymore. what concerns me is that we are talking about chrome which simply isnt the same film as cast vinyl. additionally with any vinyl film it is important imho of course to test the compatibility with the clear you are choosing to use..i have seen a couple of brands of vinyl have completely unexpected reactions when hit with various brands of clear but then no reaction when hit with another brand. it's all FM to me...f'ing magic.

kstompaint

I've done it with PPG clear and had no problems, but it was a very small piece of chrome vinyl on a large panel that saw limited exposure to the elements. If it's a larger piece of vinyl, I'd worry about the clear adhering to it. There's no mechanical bond there. Also, I'd spray a few light coats, letting them tack up for a few minutes before hammering a wet coat on. This can slowly build material and reduce the chance for a reaction when you put the wet coat on.

cuztumfx

I have a guy that just had his motorcycle tank repainted and clear coated and he wants chrome graphics applied, and then he wants it clear coated again by the body shop. I just want to make sure the Oracal 351 chrome polyester won't react, by crinkling or discoloring etc when it's covered with automotive clear coat. Thanks

Hi, Im new here but Ive been custom painting and airbrushing for years
personally I would also test clearing this

I know that my first pass with clear would be really light , just a tack coat
2nd coat just a little heavier
then third coat good coverage

I would give it about 10 to 15 minutes between coats if not too humid out
or if doing it in a paint booth

this should let you know if it will work

later
Cuz / Larry