• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery Cast Wrap Combo in Matte Lamination

Hello,

We are wrapping a camo truck today and we are printing on avery 1105 and laminate with Avery 1080z matte lamination. So printing and lamination was good but upon installation the material breaks/rips when we try to reposition the graphic. This is the first time we try matte laminate and we did not experience this when using a gloss laminate. In comparison test we use same print vinyl laminated with cast gloss and other laminated with the cast matte. Upon strechability test it appears that the gloss laminated one gives more flexibility than the matte laminated material which feels tough and hard.

Would this be a bad laminate batch or this is known behavior of matte laminate? We tried to reach out with the avery seller and they are going to bring this up to avery.

Note: The camo was awesome in matte lamination!

DirtyD

We did a 1105 and 1080 matte as well and the matte is more brittle so to speak, needless to say we had some of those same issues, it was strange, when we went to remove a piece that got scratched the matte laminate peeled right off the print and left the print perfectly in place unscathed

Printed in ss21 mimaki. They are now flying in new matte laminate for is to retest and see if there will be progress. Problem is its remembrance day weekend and monday they are closed. Oh well delays and delays...

Joe House

I wonder if the matte laminate is old. Been sitting in some warehouse for too long since it doesn't get used as much?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

d fleming

I wouldn't expect Avery to give an inch or to help in any way. The company, not the vinyl. For all I know they may have the best product in the market nowadays but I will never find out.

Frank Linson

Hello,

We are wrapping a camo truck today and we are printing on avery 1105 and laminate with Avery 1080z matte lamination. So printing and lamination was good but upon installation the material breaks/rips when we try to reposition the graphic. This is the first time we try matte laminate and we did not experience this when using a gloss laminate. In comparison test we use same print vinyl laminated with cast gloss and other laminated with the cast matte. Upon strechability test it appears that the gloss laminated one gives more flexibility than the matte laminated material which feels tough and hard.

Would this be a bad laminate batch or this is known behavior of matte laminate? We tried to reach out with the avery seller and they are going to bring this up to avery.

Note: The camo was awesome in matte lamination!
We also had an issue with the matte laminate on a boat wrap, using the Roland Tru Vis ink system, the newest Roland product. Found the issue was the inks aren't compatible for 3M or Avery 1105 or the respective laminates. Check your printer against the vinyl company for ICC profiles, and if they don't specifically exist for the printer-the print/rip software and especially material, the manufacturer will not warranty your product.We wrap too many vehicles to have a printer that is incompatible with the materials we use most. Avery was on top of it but 3M wouldn't say anything regarding the issue except if you don't see your combination as a profile, they don't cover problems, it's all on you. It was my $25.000 mistake. Roland and my supplier are taking it back and we are trading to a different printer. Still too much hassle for someone who is selling machines with "prior knowledge" of issues. It's supposedly fine if you just do flat work.
And it all started with a simple boat wrap, four months into owning the new printer. Yeah, it wasn't the matte laminate.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
How cold is your shop? It should be at least 65 degrees. Any colder and your likely to rip it repositioning it. 70 degrees would be ideal

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Jester hit the nail on the head IMO. Keep the shop warm. We wrap with matte all the time and if its cold it will be more brittle. It also dulls knife blades faster for some reason.