• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery profiles for a Mutoh ValueJet 1204?

A&ESignShoppe

Hi there.

We recently bought a 48" Mutoh ValueJet 1204 to replace our old, busted up Roland printer, and for the most part we've been very happy with it.

However, we've got a really big job coming up requiring us to print some large panels for a box truck, and we were hoping to use the Avery material that we had left over from our Roland to print it on.

The material itself is Avery MPI 1005 Super Cast Easy Apply RS. We have a 54" roll which obviously won't fit in the 48" printer, but we're able to cut it down to size so that we can still utilize it. I then made sure to download all the latest color profiles through FlexiSIGN to make sure we were using the right profile for the material. The three profile options available were "AVERY MPI 1005EZ 540x720 Banner 2.icc", "AVERY MPI 1005EZ 720x720 Graphics 2.icc", and the one I selected for the job, "AVERY MPI 1005EZ 540x720 Quality 4.icc".

Unfortunately, the results were.... not good. The print quality came out very cloudy, washed out, muted, and grainy. It looked as if it wasn't printing on the right material at all. Thinking that maybe the profile was just outdated, I went to Avery's website, created an account, and checked their available profiles for the material for my unique machine and rip software.

I'm using FlexiSIGN-PRO Cloud, also known as version 11. Unfortunately though, there are no new profiles available for my specific machine and material anywhere past Flexi version 6. Deciding to give it a shot anyway, I downloaded the version 6 profile directly from Avery's site, tried it, and the results were exactly the same.

What do I do? I don't want to have to order an entire new roll of material just to print this one job. I have since requested a color profile for my specific make and model on Avery's website, but they list right there that there's no guarantee that a profile will actually be created. I'm kinda up a creek right now at this point unless I can find a way to print on this material and make it look somewhat decent.

Again, my unique specifications are:

Printer: Mutoh ValueJet 1204 - 48"
Media: Avery MPI 1005 Super Cast Easy Apply RS
RIP: FlexiSIGN-PRO Cloud (v11)

Any help or advice at all would definitely be appreciated. Thanks. :smile:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Try one of the 3M or Orafol profiles from Flexi. I have had great success with those. Just because a profile was made for a specific media doesn't mean it will work well for you. A profile that works for me in Denver may lay too much ink down in Seattle. The best thing to do, other than creating your own profiles, is to use trial and error on the profiles you have to get the best match.

A&ESignShoppe

Any particular suggestions for this Avery media in particular? It's a 2 mil cast gloss white vinyl made for inkjets, the kind with grey adhesive and air egress. Or at least that's what the Fellers catalog tells me. The Orajet 3951 material seems fairly similar, so I think I'll try that one first.

A&ESignShoppe

Okay, I've tried several different profiles and none of them have turned out right. I'm starting to think our printer just doesn't like this material. I've printed on some General Formulations 230 vinyl and it comes out fine, but it just does *NOT* like the Avery. I'm tempted to just buy a full roll of GF, but I want to use this Avery up if I can.

I'm starting to really get frustrated here. :banghead:

300mphGraphics

I've recently encountered the same issue. The pump on my 1204 is getting a little older (Life Time Pump Warning) and my machine can struggle laying down enough inks (mostly black) on large solids so I'm printing with 1440 profiles and laying down tons of ink. Same thing here, I can print on Arlon, but the Avery.. What I ended up doing in Flexi is to select the AVERY MPI 1005EZ 720x720 Graphics 2 profile but then switch the Print Mode from Graphics 2 to Quality 1. Throws me three bright yellow warning triangles, but it works well enough to sell the project. Still a few minor light spots in the solid black, but not too bad.

TDFcustomSL

You can actually load a 54 inch roll in the 1204. Heres a video from 401 graphics on how to do it.

[video=youtube;eG2nFqZC2zo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG2nFqZC2zo[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: