• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery SW900 - No Torch??

JPGraphicsMI

Premium Subscriber
Just noticed when ordering Avery SW900, on the product details it gives the general info about Dry Apply only.. but I had never noticed it says "Use a heat gun instead of a torch, when heat is needed. No torch." Why is this? We usually use a torch for all installs, unless it's a matte or satin finish. Is there a higher chance of discoloring? I've never had an issue so just kind of curious why this is.

Just noticed when ordering Avery SW900, on the product details it gives the general info about Dry Apply only.. but I had never noticed it says "Use a heat gun instead of a torch, when heat is needed. No torch." Why is this? We usually use a torch for all installs, unless it's a matte or satin finish. Is there a higher chance of discoloring? I've never had an issue so just kind of curious why this is.
Good question, we always installed with torches, a heat gun was cumbersome when on scaffolds in the middle of a lot somewhere. I dove(more like surfed down another rabbit hole) into this and found some tech bulletins mention hazing or damage and notes "conformity at lower temps". I wonder if it is a warning about experience level or liability concern to deny warranty coverage. But found that most pressure activated materials caution against open flame where pressure sensitive install procedures don't specify but warn against overheating.
Avery SW900 has install temps at 105°-125°F & post heat spec at 175°-194°F and 3M films for wrapping (1080, 3080 etc) recommend only using a heat gun also, unable to locate install temps other than "above minimum temp" but the post heat has a higher temp range of 200°-225°F. I know from doing removals that it is much easier to control a heat source that has a slower radiant volume increase. Torches have rapid heat index rise and take more experience to control or moderate volume. It is why we switched wholly over to steam as our removal heat source. It solves the problem of Newly trained techs from melting vinyl or causing damage due to inexperience.
Coincidentally, we just did a project where we de-identified 14 trailers that had 2 year old Avery 900 series vinyl on them. The "sweet spot" was at approx.112°-145°F with a stretch angle of 15°. Any higher temp resulted in more than moderate separation. Any other angle resulted in separation also. The 900 series is a pressure activated vinyl but the specs note that it has "removable adhesive" which I only remember seeing on window films or transfer tapes. My guess is when too much heat is applied the adhesive separates from the film. ???? I wonder why they have this feature on wrapping film, what is the intended application? Guess: Thicker specialty films with material Multiple layers might expand at different ratios at higher temps? I spent a little time looking through similar products with "air release" like 3M 2080 and Orafol 970RA they both note "removable adhesive". However only Avery sw900 and 3m2080 cautions against using a torch, whereas 970RA specs torch, gun, steam, infrared.
Removal is similar with the orafol and avery, however the 3M has a much larger sweet spot window with a range of 100°-300°F and the degree of stretch from 5°-90°+, making it possible for a complete removal without any adhesive separation. Determining the optimum removal temps. sometimes helps to identify vinyl types but as the material ages the sweet spot window (temp range) gets smaller.