• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery Wrap Class

ExecuPrintGS

I'd use knifeless if I need to just cut the top piece off... correct me if I'm wrong...

The point is to test knife/ cut skills. Knifeless is great but not always an option. The cut test is to make sure you know how to cut with a light touch and not cut the paint.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
I'd use knifeless if I need to just cut the top piece off... correct me if I'm wrong...
I believe everyone would in that situation, but that is not what the cut test is testing you for. The test is to see if you can cut through just one layer of vinyl and not two, by hand. I thought the cut test was ridiculous when I was taking it thinking "when the heck am I ever going to have to do this?" ...until you find yourself in that situation and do actually need to cut through only a single layer of film.

fatwrapper

I believe everyone would in that situation, but that is not what the cut test is testing you for. The test is to see if you can cut through just one layer of vinyl and not two, by hand. I thought the cut test was ridiculous when I was taking it thinking "when the heck am I ever going to have to do this?" ...until you find yourself in that situation and do actually need to cut through only a single layer of film.

Darn, I'll give it a try ... I'm aiming for certification next year. Any tips on how to cut one vinyl and leave the one under untouched? I guess leave the blade out as little as possible for a start? Which knife do you use? (Sorry, lots of questions)

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Darn, I'll give it a try ... I'm aiming for certification next year. Any tips on how to cut one vinyl and leave the one under untouched? I guess leave the blade out as little as possible for a start? Which knife do you use? (Sorry, lots of questions)

Practice, and, practice. I use an NT Cutter and a new blade edge. Do it over and over again until you get a feel for it.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Avery certification harder than 3M? Not to hate on any brand or anyone but 3M certification was 10 times harder. Avery was easy as hell. Besides the double layer cuts what was mentioned there was no challenge for an experienced installer.
3M, on the other hand, had the old sprinter door which has the deep channel with double wall and also the HHR front bumper. If you never done them before you won't be able to do it. Especially the HHR bumper.
Beside that avery is all about vehicle wraps. 3M had wall wraps, cinder blocks, bricks, floor install, corrugated panel with rivets with no air release vinyl. That last one alone was harder than the whole avery certifications.