• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back printing acrylic

Mark H

Instead of applying vinyl graphics to a cabinet face has anyone back printed using UV inks on clear acrylic with a solid white printed over it? How does it look when illuminated?

Thanks,
Mark

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Instead of applying vinyl graphics to a cabinet face has anyone back printed using UV inks on clear acrylic with a solid white printed over it? How does it look when illuminated?

Thanks,
Mark

All the time. IMO it's way better than using vinyl, but you need to make sure the acrylic is 100% clean.
Only thing with UV the resolution is slightly lower than solvent. doesn't bother any of my clients though.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Yep, we do it regularly as well.
Last thing that happens before the print button gets hit is removing the top protective layer.
No nasty dust getting trapped causing ugly bubbles.
Works a treat.

ChrisN

If you're doing backlit signage, you want to print 3 layers of ink - color/white/color. It's the same idea as the reverse print on the inside of a backlit solvent printed sign - it prevents the colors from washing out when the sign is lit up.

If you're not backlighting it, though, a 2 layer print (color/white) is fine, and the colors appear nearly the same as printing on a white substrate such as vinyl.

Mark H

If you're doing backlit signage, you want to print 3 layers of ink - color/white/color. It's the same idea as the reverse print on the inside of a backlit solvent printed sign - it prevents the colors from washing out when the sign is lit up.

If you're not backlighting it, though, a 2 layer print (color/white) is fine, and the colors appear nearly the same as printing on a white substrate such as vinyl.
Thanks. Yes I am back lighting, I would have printed color/color/white. The sign I am working on has a peachy color background and I hope it doesn't look washed out.

DerbyCitySignGuy

It all depends on your printer, but you can definitely get amazing quality if you run at higher settings. You can get museum quality prints no problem out of some of the nicer printers, but even the middle of the road UV printers can produce a good quality print.

Since we've acquired a UV hybrid we've ONLY done them on the UV (unless matching).