• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backing that looks like Wax Paper

AlphaDzigns

Aloha All,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any type of large format printing roll (Make and Model) that would have a thin backing that looks like wax paper? I have a client who is looking specifically for that style of backing but my normal intermediate film rolls have a thicker more paper feel where as the one they are looking for is more thin and wax paper type. I am currently using an HP365 to print. I know that I have seen this type of material for smaller "label" printers but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with finding a large format roll with that type of backing.

Please refer to the picture attached to show the difference.
image001.png

The left side is what the customer is looking for whereas the right is what we typically use now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated on where I can find this material. FYI the sizing of the roll does not matter since we can cut the sheets down ourselves with our plotter.

Thank you.

victor bogdanov

Why does it matter what kind of backing it has?

Are the labels you are trying to match custom printed for the customer or is it possibly something generic/mass produced?

CanuckSigns

Thin backer papers and the HP latex do not mix, the high heat the printer generates will cause head strikes galore on thin backed vinyl.

The backer paper you posted is typical on roll labels, which are printed on much different machines. Typically the rolls for these machines are very long, so they make the backer as thin as possible to reduce weight.

RyanECS

Aloha All,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any type of large format printing roll (Make and Model) that would have a thin backing that looks like wax paper? I have a client who is looking specifically for that style of backing but my normal intermediate film rolls have a thicker more paper feel where as the one they are looking for is more thin and wax paper type. I am currently using an HP365 to print. I know that I have seen this type of material for smaller "label" printers but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with finding a large format roll with that type of backing.

Please refer to the picture attached to show the difference.
View attachment 169113

The left side is what the customer is looking for whereas the right is what we typically use now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated on where I can find this material. FYI the sizing of the roll does not matter since we can cut the sheets down ourselves with our plotter.

Thank you.
The left is from a label machine. Very different process than the HP. There is nothing on the market that is similar to that backing.

AlphaDzigns

Why does it matter what kind of backing it has?

Are the labels you are trying to match custom printed for the customer or is it possibly something generic/mass produced?
Aloha,

No idea I find it idiotic but the customer says it has to be that type of backing. And yes it is custom printed. Like the people said below I knew it was more “label” printing but was wondering if there was anything in a large format style that could work or be close

AlphaDzigns

Thin backer papers and the HP latex do not mix, the high heat the printer generates will cause head strikes galore on thin backed vinyl.

The backer paper you posted is typical on roll labels, which are printed on much different machines. Typically the rolls for these machines are very long, so they make the backer as thin as possible to reduce weight.
Aloha,

Thank you for the response. Yes I was thinking if we hung enough off the front the weight would keep it down similar to how we run banner to stay away from head strikes. But yes I figured there was nothing close

AlphaDzigns

The left is from a label machine. Very different process than the HP. There is nothing on the market that is similar to that backing.
Aloha,

Thank you, yes I figured I would just ask around and see if there is something similar. As the customer said our backing is to thick and wanted it thinner like the label one.

CanuckSigns

Aloha,

Thank you, yes I figured I would just ask around and see if there is something similar. As the customer said our backing is to thick and wanted it thinner like the label one.
I've seen laminate with super thin laminate, but not print vinyl. However it does beg the question, why does your client care about the thickness of the piece they throw in the garbage?

AlphaDzigns

I've seen laminate with super thin laminate, but not print vinyl. However it does beg the question, why does your client care about the thickness of the piece they throw in the garbage?
That’s the thing I have no idea. I could understand if they were using a label machine to put the labels on but they’re not. They’re doing the labeling by hand.

I am unsure why they would want more “paper” labels when we provide vinyl labels

damonCA21

Tell them to buy the backing paper, you will supply on your normal vinyl then they can peel them off and stick them to the wax paper themselves ( before they peel them off, stick them on and throw away the backing ! )

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
We print on both wide format vinyl and roll to roll labels. The main reason for the thin backing is for high speed print/ label application, there should be no issues for hand application to accept thicker backing. Maybe your customer thinks they will get a cost savings using the thinner backing. Yes, the cost is generally cheaper for roll to roll, when the stock comes on a 5000 foot roll vs. a 150 foot roll of wide format vinyl.

Gettin'By

Someone somewhere, who may or may not have been clueless, told them or posted somewhere that the thin backer was the best or cheapest, or the "proper kind", and that random person's comment is being given more credence than the word of a professional.

Take the job, farm it out to Sticker Mule, pocket the upcharge and they can have what they want. And no head strikes on your machine in the process.

• Agree
Reactions: Lux

wonderings

Very bizarre request. The real request should be for the label itself not what backer it is on. This can come from basically any label stock and I don't know anyone who buys a roll of label, or sheets of label based on the backer itself. Those are kiss-cut labels, basically they get printed and all the label stock around the image is removed which makes for an easy peel and stick.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I was just going to say that looks just like Sticker Mule's backing paper. Are they applying these with a machine or by hand? If they have a machine it should be adjustable to your backing paper...by hand, who cares? Weird request.