• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit Film behind clear acrylic...

bendeane

Okay, I've been searching around for backlit sign options for weeks. Do a ton of banners, window perf, ad-back vinyl to rigid substrates and have a client who has a backlit sign in place that is faded and wants new panels. It's 4ft x 4ft. I was going to print full color on translucent vinyl, laminate it and adhere it to a white acrylic sheet to mount in the lightbox.

I was presented with a different option and I would like opinions on it. LexJet recently sold us a material for a retractable banner stand that I really liked and the sales rep called me today and asked if there was anything else they could help us with. When I explained my backlit sign project, she said this..."why not print on backlit film (lexjet makes an 8 mil gloss and a 9 mil matte) and put it behind clear acrylic panels mounted in the light box."

Does anybody see why this wouldn't work? The backlit film is so much less expensive than translucent vinyl and no lamination would be required. Any issues? Let me know your thoughts and I'll go from there.

Thanks a ton for all the help,

Ben

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well translucent vinyl you can get in the $0.20 sq.ft range. If you go with backlit are you going to face mount it to the plexi?

bendeane

Where can I get it? I'm looking at Feller's (I know there are cheaper places), but I can't seem to find anything below $0.41 sq. ft. and that is for a calendered 1 year durability 3M. If I go with the backlit, I'll put it behind the clear plexi inside the lightbox.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I can get it for you at that price. Its made by Ritrama and its a sweet product, its a 6 Mil 6 year calandered translucent vinyl.

ABC Signman

You won't see the lamps themselves, but you will see the dark areas between the lamps, and bright spots where the lamps are located. If you print your graphic on clear material and mounted it first surface to white plex or polycarbonate, you should have no issues. But you need a diffuser film if you mount your graphic to a clear substrate. You will see what I mean if you slide your clear substrate, with the printed graphic mounted second surface, into your lighted cabinet. Not pretty! Then apply a diffuser film over your printed graphic and slide it back into your cabinet. It should look much better.

Mike