• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit Letters

3Dsigns

I'm researching doing some stand-off cut-out letters for a church. The letters will either be cut out of solid brushed aluminum cut from something like 1/4'' aluminum plate or we may use some of the brushed aluminum faced aluminum composite material. They want LED's behind the letters for a halo effect. What type product/s would you recommend for the lighting? Thanks
image0.jpeg

3Dsigns

I hate placing bare LED's behind plate letters.
That being said, principal LED makes some very small modules that work better than the larger ones for projects like this. They also make some of the tape style led's, but I don't think they offer 10 year warranty on those products.
For a cheap, but deeper looking letter, you can cut them from .090" aluminum (or acm I suppose, its rigid enough) and trimcap the letters to give a nice 1" return. Stand them off the wall 3/4", fill them full of LED's, and your have a cheap reverse halo lit letter. I'd pair brushed aluminum with black trimcap. You'll need lords or ASI adhesive to bond to the trimcap.
Thanks!

3Dsigns

I hate placing bare LED's behind plate letters.
That being said, principal LED makes some very small modules that work better than the larger ones for projects like this. They also make some of the tape style led's, but I don't think they offer 10 year warranty on those products.
For a cheap, but deeper looking letter, you can cut them from .090" aluminum (or acm I suppose, its rigid enough) and trimcap the letters to give a nice 1" return. Stand them off the wall 3/4", fill them full of LED's, and your have a cheap reverse halo lit letter. I'd pair brushed aluminum with black trimcap. You'll need lords or ASI adhesive to bond to the trimcap.
What would be the best thing to use for standoffs?

Scotchbrite

No comment
It's definitely best if you can put some sort of return on the letters or you'll see the LEDs from any kind of side angle. Without some sort of diffuser between the wall and LEDs, we've had a lot of trouble with hot spots on interior signs. I'm just not a fan of back-lit letters without a full can and backing. If someone wants to do that themselves I guess that's fine, but I wouldn't sell them that way. I think it looks tacky.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
We usually make any halo-lit letters as "fabricated" reverse channel letters. Aluminum faces and aluminum returns around 3" deep. If the LEDs are just placed behind flat letters they will show bright light leaks at sharp viewing angles. Metal returns are more effective at hiding the LEDs, even when someone is viewing the sign from one of its ends.