• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit printing passes on Epson S60600

Rachel Bigelow

New to creating profiles on an Epson, but is there a way to change the amount of passes on a generic backlit profile. We have a job that only has black lines that need to be printed and I need something faster than a 12 pass profile.

unclebun

I guess I'll ask the obvious question that if you're doing a backlit sign which only has black lines on it, why are you printing it rather than cutting it from black vinyl?

This may not be much faster, but it’s my favorite setting for good backlit printing-

Use your standard 8 pass vinyl profile (I like ij180 or ij35), BUT create a Custom Media setting that has a multi-strike of 2 (double-strike).

This can be done from the Epson Edge Dashboard or directly from the printer’s front panel.

Go into Menu > Media Setup > Customize Settings > find an open slot > name it > look for Multi-Strike Printing > set it to 2 (generally speaking, anything over 2 is overkill)

So, from the RIP you’ll be selecting 8 pass ij35 (or whatever your normal vinyl setting is). By selecting the new custom media the printer will double up the ink in an extra pass. Which equates to roughly a 16 pass. The benefit is you’re getting 2 layers of less ink. So the color doesn’t get too dark, but you’re still getting good saturation. This equates to more even day/night backlits. ‘ Looks more natural (not too dark) when it’s not lit during the day, but looks rich and saturated when lit at night.

In the case of black only, you can probably get away with a using a standard 8 (or 6) pass vinyl profile. No need for the multi-strike. Just use a rich black of a cmyk of something like 100/100/100/100. The rip will back that off but it will remain a pretty heavy composite black.

• Informative
Reactions: a77

Rachel Bigelow

I guess I'll ask the obvious question that if you're doing a backlit sign which only has black lines on it, why are you printing it rather than cutting it from black vinyl?

They are being printed to use as templates to drill on car parts. So it's not being put on a backlit sign .