• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit sign with metallic reverse lettering

gnubler

My customer rented a new place with a backlit sign. He's envisioning a solid black background with metallic gold lettering to match his business card/website. Is this type of design effective for a backlit sign? If not, would gold background/black lettering be better?

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
My customer rented a new place with a backlit sign. He's envisioning a solid black background with metallic gold lettering to match his business card/website. Is this type of design effective for a backlit sign? If not, would gold background/black lettering be better?
Yes, use translucent metallic gold vinyl

gnubler

Has anyone else done a backlit with a black background and was it effective? He wants to compare costs by scrapping the backlighting and using black ACM with gold lettering (budget constraints). The sign is on ground level so he might just use ground lights to illuminate it at night, if at all.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
You can absolutely make a backlit sign with a dark background. I assume you are referring to 'halo' illuminated RPC letters? Obviously the brightness of the glow around the letters is quite a bit less than a similar sign on a lighter color background, thats just the result of the dark color absorbing the light. You could make the letters metallic gold and add a thin painted aluminum piece the same size or slightly larger than the letter mounted to the face of the background so the light has a lighter surface to reflect off of. see pic as example

Attachments

• WF3.jpg
    WF3.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 118

gnubler

I was looking more at metallic gold translucent vinyl with a solid black background - this is a low budget project for a new business. Thank you for the input on RPC letters. Something to consider down the road when the customer is more established and wanting to upgrade.

Getting back to the original concept: would the black have the lettering cut out/knocked out, then overlay with the metallic gold lettering? Would you give the gold a "trap" so it overlays the black by 1/8" or so? (to avoid light peek through)