• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backup power supply

DGDesigns

Any suggestions on temporary backup power supplies for a digital printer??
I am looking for a unit to support a Roland SP540i which uses 7.6amps and 1030watts.

ProWraps

we bought 4 pretty large ones. two for our printers, two for our computers. the printers drew too much power and we had to take them back.

i think you have to have a very large one unfortunately. they just tripped the alarms on them from the get go. let me know what you find that works for a reasonable price. i would still like to have two more for the printers.

cgsigns_jamie

I have the same one for our server. That'll run for about 2 hours on the battery ... the printer, however, draws a bit more power and would only run for about 7 minutes. I'd like to buy a bigger one but need to save a bit more $$$

They aren't cheap but they are worth every penny!

ProWraps

even if it only runs the printer for a few mins, a+. we almost DIE when our breaker triped or the power goes out and the printer gets slammed. it resets almost every setting.

we now have run a dedicated 20amp breaker to our two printers because when we ran the microwave and the printers it kept blowing the breakers! ACK!

signage

My suggestion is to hook an amp meter up and take reading while your printer is printing with all options working (feeding off roll, pre and post heaters running on high, takeup reel pulling) then take this reading and multiply it by the voltage this will give you your true operating wattage. Now take this wattage and multiply it by 25% and that would be the minimum size UPS I would recommend! Cgsign if you printer is drawing 13 amps and hooked up to a 120VAC outlet you wattage is 1590W so that 1500W UPS is not large enough!

cgsigns_jamie

My suggestion is to hook an amp meter up and take reading while your printer is printing with all options working (feeding off roll, pre and post heaters running on high, takeup reel pulling) then take this reading and multiply it by the voltage this will give you your true operating wattage. Now take this wattage and multiply it by 25% and that would be the minimum size UPS I would recommend! Cgsign if you printer is drawing 13 amps and hooked up to a 120VAC outlet you wattage is 1590W so that 1500W UPS is not large enough!

Very good advice ... the UPS I linked to was 1980w :thumb:

DGDesigns

Excellent feedback from everyone. I was just double checking on what everyone was using because the unit I specd was around $900. Thought that was nuts at first, but can't afford any damage either. Thanks, "signage", on the calculations.