• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

bad bulbs sooner than usual

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Hello,

We had installed a lighted sign about 3 years ago and continue to have to replace bulbs on a regular basis. About 8-10 months. Attached is a pic of the bulbs when they go bad. To me it doesn't look normal.
The ballasts have not been changed in the 3 years. We did NOT hook up the primary, an electrician had. There are several other smaller lighted signs sharing the same circuit and I'm wondering if this has something to do with the problem because I have had the same issue on another sign which has 3 - 6 ft x 10ft signs sharing 1 circuit and the bulbs need to be replaced every 4-6 months.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 2015-11-04 09.53.31.jpg
    2015-11-04 09.53.31.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 137

visual800

Sign looks nasty, is it possibly holding water? Corroding connections and or sockets?

If there a photocell on it, check it also

There are so many things that could go wrong with electrical signs and as far as the power source, i would prefer each sign have its on circuit but apparently this location you speak of has been this way for a while?

check for water damage, check photocell, check out all sockets

If you dont have a photocell on sign make sure the location has a time or photocell and those signs ar ein fat geting cut off

rydods

It's actually not too bad. That's just a little dirt and dust. The sign is only 3 years old. The last time I went out to repair, I checked over everything (wires, moisture, sockets ect.) Everything looks great! Just don't understand why this is happening or if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Looks like a couple of things.

First, you're probably using electronic ballasts. Secondary leads should not be bunched so close in 1/2" flex, if their magnetics you're okay

Second, it could be primary.....that's why you're blowing bulbs, but you'll need to hook up a volt meter & amp meter when these signs kick on. Is the circuit ONLY for these signs, or is it being shared somewhere else? If you don't know that's why it's important for a reading. Also, use your meter and test the Neutral wire, are you getting any positive voltage on it? If so, how much?

Thirdly, what size ballast and what size bulbs?

Did you do the other cabinets/signs or just this particular cabinet that keeps blowing bulbs?

rydods

Thanks For the response. They are electronic ballasts. My hunch is that it is the primary and my plan was to test it.
I did not hook up the primary and I don't know if the circuit is being shared anywhere else other than the signs on the pole. The bulbs are F60's. There are 2 ballasts, each running 5 bulbs (total of 10). I did not do the other signs on the pole just the top one which is the main company. The others were provided by sponsors and hung by the owner and wired by the electrician.

He's inquiring about LED so I'm hoping he goes that route. However if it is the primary, I'm afraid we might start loosing power supplies in the future.

Looks like a couple of things.

First, you're probably using electronic ballasts. Secondary leads should not be bunched so close in 1/2" flex, if their magnetics you're okay

Second, it could be primary.....that's why you're blowing bulbs, but you'll need to hook up a volt meter & amp meter when these signs kick on. Is the circuit ONLY for these signs, or is it being shared somewhere else? If you don't know that's why it's important for a reading. Also, use your meter and test the Neutral wire, are you getting any positive voltage on it? If so, how much?

Thirdly, what size ballast and what size bulbs?

Did you do the other cabinets/signs or just this particular cabinet that keeps blowing bulbs?

spectrum maine

is it a 20 amp circuit? too many signs for 1 circuit.
80 percent of a 20 amp circuit is only 16 amps.
2 ballasts per sign drawing 3.5 amps each(?) is 21 amps (plus voltage drop from source & whatever else ir running of that pole- too much.